Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Re: wireless development

Oh and the 169....... IP address never works for me over wifi

I use the actual wifi address of the device e.g. 192.168.0.8

You can find this from the playbook's settings under general, and NETWORK in the dropdown combobox

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Thanks for confirming it can be done.  Do you know if it's an ad hoc, peer to peer, or other sort of direct connection between the Playbook and the PC, or are the two simply regular nodes on the same WLAN subnet, communicating through the gateway?

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Normal WiFi nodes communicating through the gatway.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Contributor
My Device: tablet
My Carrier: bell

I still can't get it to work. I can set up the 192.168... address as a target, and it shows good on the project explorer, but it will not connect. Any variation of the 169.254 address for a target does not work. As somebody mentioned, this is a different subset and can't have access to my home network on 192.168... I turned off windows firewall, just in case that was the problem. Do you need something special in the gateway setup? I can't find anything.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

On your PC, go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections and right click on the icon for your wireless adapter.

Select Use the following IP address:

IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.100

Keep the same DNS servers, assuming this connection has been used to successfully access whatever network resources you were using before you tried this Playbook development setup. These will either be internal primary and secondary DNS servers, if you're on a corporate network, or the Primary and Secondary DNS server IP addresses from your ISP. If they worked before, no reason to change them.

On the Playbook, set up a wireless connection on the same subnet. This means ONLY the IP address differs from the PC settings above:

IP address: 192.168.0.2
Default gateway: 192.168.0.100

Keep the same DNS servers as on PC.

Set up other nodes on your wireless network as nodes on the same subnet:
e.g. 192.168.0.3 through 192.168.0.99

Open your firewall's admin portal by pointing your browser at its internal admin address (I have no way of knowing what this is, if you must, you can reset the firewall to factory settings, ensuring you hall all your ISP info written down before you reset), and set up the wireless lan as follows:

Assign IP addresses as Static (i.e. don't enable DHCP)
IP address: 192.168.0.100

Beyond that, you need to do some reading as I mentioned before so you understand this.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

Probably not. In order for wireless debugging to work, you need to be on the same subnet. When you say "it shows good" I would assume it connected. But you said it wouldn't connect.

When you open the debug menu on the PlayBook, it says "169.254.[picker].[picker]". This is USB only and defines what USB IO address you will use to connect to it by your computer.

WiFi, as stated before, is not this 169 address.

I'm not sure if I am explaining it well enough. I'll see if I can put together a little example guide but won't be able to do it today. [Edit: Unless GildedLily helps you out]

Three simple rules:
Developer

OK, lets get this fixed and start with basics.

Ensure both the dev computer and your playbook are connected to the same wifi router. (So they should be on the same subnet)

Open command prompt and type:

ping 192.168.[whatever the IP of your playbook is)

you can find IP this in the playbook settings menu under Network in the dropdown box)

If the connection is successful then it is a problem with getting QNX to communicate with the device, if the pinging fails, then its a problem with your network and could be a variety of things such as firewall blocking it.

If pinging is successful, open QNX and remove&delete any deployment options from the project treeview.

Then go to WINDOW, PREFERENCES, then select BLACKBERRY TABLET OS and click RUN THE BLACKBERRY TABLET OS DEPLOYMENT SETUP WIZARD.

Does QNX connect to the device after step 2? (after you type in the playbook IP address)

Developer

Oh and I always keep the playbook ON and not on standby when adding to QNX.

Also ensure development mode is on and development mode passwords are the same both on the playbook and in the deployment wizard.

New Contributor
My Device: tablet
My Carrier: bell

can ping playbook from PC. Can create the target and connect. But when I select a project and try to either debug or Run, I get "unable to connect to selected target: connect failed: connect timed out". I'm still suspicious there are specific ports that must be open, but I disabled windows firewall entirely, so I don't see how that can be.

Does this work for everybody? Looking back at the responses, it sounds like only one person actually uses the wireless for development.

Developer

Wireless for me is slow, so I use USB.

You brought up an interesting note, I don't know if you have multiple targets or just one (I have one for USB, one for wireless, and one for the simulator), but in the debug configuration for a project, you can choose which target to use.

Though I think Momentics is smart enough to choose the one that is connected, it could be worth looking to make sure that it is trying to connect to the right target.
Three simple rules: