05-03-2013 06:01 PM
Sorry in advance for the long post!
A bit of background:
I have an app that has been available on QNX for a while and now has over a thousand users.
This app has always used the dynamic licensing model (originally Try & Buy before that was unceremoniously pulled)
The licensing model I'm using relies on the PIN because for a long time the BB App World was not supplying email addresses with QNX license requests so the PIN was the only reliable reference.
Before I found out about the Telephony API I didn't know how to obtain the device PIN programatically from an Android App so I prompted the user to enter their PIN and the generated license key in order to complete the registration, this worked fine until RIM stopped supplying the key to end-users.
Soon after, I saw the post here about the Telephony API and started using this to automate the registration and it worked well.
Then the Z10 arrived and for the first time a lot of BB users had multiple devices running the same platform and it became obvious that the BlackBerry World dynamic licensing system doesn't support the concept of one-license for multiple devices (like Google Play), it would neither allow the user to re-purchase for the new device nor generate an additonal license so I started creating extra licenses manually (I don't believe in charging per device).
Then the BB10 beta and Q10 came along and the Telephony API is now broken so there is no way to retrieve the PIN.
At this point it seems obvious I need to switch to In-App Purchases (which I have successfully tested) but I have two questions:
1. Does In-App Purchasing work per-BlackBerry ID or per-Device? I need one license to work for multiple devices simultaneously, just like Google Play does.
2. How do I transition the existing users to the new license? I don't want to fork the app and have to maintain two versions based on the licensing code.
Right now my plan (assuming #1 is OK) is to change the app to a free 30-day trial with 2 options for licensing:
1. In-App Purchase
2. Lookup license (for existing users).
I would welcome any comments or suggestions
05-06-2013 07:52 AM
1) Purchases are tied to the users' BlackBerry ID. If the user transitions to a new device or has the same app installed on multiple platforms (ex PlayBook and BlackBerry 10) you are able to retrieve the same goods previously purchased on both platforms.
2) I need a bit more info on the initial an proposed new sales models to answer appropriately. Am I correct that originally the app was a paid app with dynamic licensing used at the app level and you want to move it to a free app that uses a digital good to unlock the app?