Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Social Lounge

Developer
My Device: Bold 9930 and PlayBook

Developer risks

What do you do to cover yourself from lawsuits?  My application gets used by pilots and I want to make sure that if the application should report the wrong information or fail to get an update someone couldn't sue me and take my personal assets.  The app has been out for several years already but I'm now migrating to a revenue generating model and want to make sure I've got my bases covered.  Any suggestions?

I am planning on talking to a lawyer about this, however, I thought it would be useful to hear what other developers have done.  I know I could create an LLC but honestly I'm not expecting to bring in more than a few hundred dollars a year.  Like most developers this is a hobby and not my full time job.

Thanks!

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be forever a child." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Developer
My Device: Bold 9930 and PlayBook

Re: Developer risks

Here is a good article to look at http://blog.momswithapps.com/2012/01/08/legal-considerations-for-mobile-app-developers/   Goes over legal considerations, copyright, and freelance work agreements.

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be forever a child." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Just my two cents on this that since apps can only be downloaded from BlackBerry World there is a level of protection already there...

http://uk.blackberry.com/legal.html

If you add your own EULA to an app then you may lose some of this protection, I'm not a laywer so of course if in doubt about your level of liability and coverage it's always good to take advice from one who is as @bnolan001 suggested.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Alpha

establish a relationship with an intellectural property lawyer in your area too

Click the Like button if you find my post useful and as a way to let me know someone actually read it.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: no provider

add your own terms and conditions to appstore. Basically say that you are not responsible for anything. If you really worrying, you can display a message after installation saying that you are using this app at your own risk.