Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

App runs in Simulator but not on Device

Hey,

I'm writing a small app that communicates with a server via a TCP connection and uses a SHA1 digest. When I run the app on a 5.0 or 6.0 simulator, it runs just fine. However, when I want to debug the app on my 6.0 Bold 9700 device it wont even start. The only thing my console gives me when I want to start the app is the following:

[0.0] CodeStore.DependencyList.reset() took 450
[0.0] CodeStore.DependencyList.buildModuleDependencyList() took 5 - [42]
[0.0] AM: Starting net_rim_bb_trust_application_manager
[0.0] AM: net_rim_bb_trust_application_manager already running
[0.0] AM: Foreground is requested: net_rim_bb_trust_application_manager(249)
[0.0] AM: Foreground is requested: net_rim_bb_ribbon_app(87)

and that's it. No start, no nothing. I've packaged and codesigned the app before I transfer it via Eclipse onto the device so I don't think it has anything to do with the API. Any suggestions ?

Thank you very much already

Alex 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: App runs in Simulator but not on Device

It looks like it is trying to display the trusted application prompt.  What BlackBerry Smartphone model and BlackBerry device software version are you testing on?  You can find this under Options, About on the BlackBerry Smartphone.

How was the application installed on the BlackBerry Smartphone?  If you connect the debugger, do you see it enter and run any code within your application?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Hey,

I'm running it on a Bold 9700 with 6.0 Bundle 1879 (6.0.0.448, Platform 6.6.0.124). I tried installing it in the following ways, all with the same result:

1. Eclipse: Right click on project, package, sign and then send to device and run it in normal mode

2. Eclipse: Right click on project, package and sign and then run in debug on the device

3. Software manager: Load the project manually onto the device.

All of the 3 methods above resulted in the same outcome: nothing. The app won't start and the only debug info I can get is the one I already mentioned in my first post. Even a System.Out.println in the very first line of code that gets executed won't show.

Thanks for the response

Alex

Did you remove the existing application between load attempts?  If not, try to do so then perform a hard reset (battery pull) and load the software back onto the BlackBerry Smartphone using Desktop Manager.

Methods #1 and #2 you describe can occasionally run into permission issues, which may have happened here.

Are you able to load and run a basic helloworld type application?

Mark Sohm

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9780
My Carrier: Digicel

Can you explain a bit more of what "permission issues" means and how we can safeguard against these things? I'm having those very same issues now. 

When installing using those specific methods some permissions in the Application Control Policy does not get set for the application, resulting in ControlledAccessExceptions.  The workaround is to install using any other means.

Mark Sohm