Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: Etisalat

Application performance very slow - Test needed

Hi Guys,

I work for a bank and we have a secure mobile banking app for blackberry which runs very very slow. The IT team tells me that this is because of a communication lag introduced due the message being routed via the RIM servers (?????) .

I think its the application and the way it is coded is slow and not the actual packet communication . I need to test the same and prove it to them. I do not have the source code and have an internet link from where i can get the app . Is there any tool that can test the same ?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Application performance very slow - Test needed

What type of application is this?  Java, WebWorks, AIR?  Is it for BlackBerry Smartphones or the BlackBerry PlayBook?

There are profiling tools available that let you see where in the code the slowdown is occuring, but they do require the source code of the application.

Routing a network connection through BlackBerry Infrastructure should not slow down your connection.  You can send a PIN message to yourself to see how quick it can be to travel through that system.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Contributor

I messaged myself and it was delivered to me instantly .. I think it is a Java application for blackberry smartphones.  When the application was running i toggled between the app and the Java VM engineering screens - > processes. I saw that this app was consuming close to 200 % or a lil more whenever any action was performed on it ( something like a sin-bell curve).

My goal here is to somehow produce a report that the app is putting stress on the phone hardware thats why it is slow and not because of the stupid reason given to me (that the phone communicates to the central banking server via RIM causing latency).

Any help will be much appreciated ..

BlackBerry Device Software version 6.0 and higher shows you the recourses used by an application on the application screen.  To view it go to Options, Applications, scroll to the application and scroll horizontally to see different stats.

If you had the source code you could profile the application in the BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse or BlackBerry JDE to see where the slowdown is occurring.

Mark Sohm

New Contributor

Thanks a lot Mark ... I will ask them to use a profiler and figure it out.

Just wanted to be sure that the reason given to me i.e. "Latency in communication as the message is routed via the RIM infrastructure" is invalid..right? 

Highlighted

Correct.  This shouldn't incur any noticeable delays.  The PIN test to yourself is a good way to prove that.  It goes from your device, through the RIM infrastructure and back again.

Mark Sohm