Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: Z10, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Smartone

Authentication failed with Playbook Simulator 1.0.7 suddenly

Hi,

I have been testing with Playbook Simulator 1.0.7 in VMware Player in Windows. (WebWorks SDK 2.2.0.5)

Suddenly since today, I am no longer able to deply app onto the simulator. It displays an error message: "Error: Authetication failed due ot invalid password".

I haven't changed any password in the Playbook Simulator and my command line has -password playbook.

I  actually have tried to restart and also run a backup copy of Playbook Simulator 1.0.7. However, it has the same problem.

What could have gone wrong?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Tony 

Developer

Re: Authentication failed with Playbook Simulator 1.0.7 suddenly

It works after uninstalling and reinstalling the WebWorks SDK. After a few days it happened again. However, an uninstall and reinstall always fix the problem.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi there,

This is mighty peculiar, I can't say I've seen this one myself before. Based on the behaviour you are describing, my hunch would be that some configuration file is being modified, and the password validation is failing. Though what I would not exactly know.

After you install the SDK, the date modified for each file will likely be set to the time that you do the installation. When the issue re-occurs, perhaps you could check the date modified on the files within the SDK to see if anything has changed since installation?

Another quick way to verify this would be, after installation, backup the entire folder. Once the issue occurs, replace the contents of your SDK with your backed-up files (essentially restoring the files.) If this fixes the issue, it is likely a modified file causing the problem. If it does not, this may be related to the actual registry (which would be removed during uninstallation and set durign installation, but unaffected by replacing the files.)

As mentioned, this is just a hunch, but I will dig to see if I can find some more information on this or similar cases.

Erik Oros

BlackBerry Development Advisor

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Developer

Thanks. Your suggestion is good. I'll see if I have the time to do that... Smiley Happy

I've tried backing up the simulator folder and restore it, but it doesn't help. So it's something else.

Any hint on where are the configuration files?

Retired

Hi there,

In all honesty I am not sure where configuration details are being stored. My best guess would be to try the whole WebWorks SDK folder, example:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK 2.2.0.15\

It's peculiar that the password authentication would be tied to the Webworks SDK in the first place, unless blackberry-deploy itself was becoming corrupt somehow.

I would think the default simulator password would be tied to the simulator installation itself, but if it is a WebWorks SDK re-install that is fixing the issue (albeit temporarily) then there very well may be something that is consistently corrupting a specific WebWorks file; and most suspect to myself would be blackberry-deploy, though it may be some file referenced by that.

Erik Oros

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Developer

I found a way to reproduce my problem.

With VMware Player (3.1.5 build-491717) and Blackberry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5 on WinXP.

After I power down my simulator, Virtual Machine -> Power -> Power Off and then a restart. I can no longer deploy applications onto the simulator.

blackberry-deploy is responding with "Error: Authentication failed due to invalid password".

Does this make sense? Thank you.

I needed to perform a Power Off on my simulator because it has hanged.

Retired

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I went through the steps you noted and can not seem to produce the issue. My VMWare player is a little newer (4.0.1 build-528992) but I would be preetty surprised if that was related. I also used the latest 1.0.7 PlayBook Simulator available here:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/download/

To mount the image, I used the "Open a Virtual Machine" option within the VMWare Player to browse to:

BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator.vmx

The command I used to deploy on both attempts (before and after power off) is:

blackberry-deploy -installApp -device [IP ADDRESS] -password playbook -package MyTestApp.bar

And both times resulted in success.

Were there perhaps any additional steps between the power off and restart that took place? (PC restart, etc.)

Erik Oros

Developer

The problem was gone for 3 months , but it started happening again yesterday. I've tried to uninstall WebWorks SDK, AdobeAir SDK and attempt to re-paire VMWare Player.

Unfortunately, I am still getting "Error: Authentication failed due to invalid password"...

Is there any further insight or update on this issue?

Thanks.

Retired

Hello asiayeah,

Unfortunately I haven't seen a similar issue to this since our last exchange. Can you confirm which PlayBook simulator you are using? If you are not using the latest 2.0 release, could you try that and confirm whether that one also produces an issue:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/resources/simulators.jsp

I'll reach out to my colleagues in the meantime.

Erik Oros

Developer

I am using PlayBook simulator 1.0.7. I've tried to use PlayBook Simulator 2.0, but it either runs into the infamous error: "Unable to access /dev/nvram" or got stuck in the BlackBerry splash screen. I saw a lengthy thread on that, however, I haven't yet figured out how to solve that one.

My worse case is my PlayBook has been sent back for maintainence since last Wed and it still has no ETA for me...I am not complaining, but it's not easy to be a PlayBook developer this way...the simulators are unstable.

Eventually, I've tried to remove WebWorks SDK and VMWare Player 3.1.5, and reinstall them again. Viola, I am able to run the PlayBook Simulator 1.0.7 and install app on it again. First, I am not sure how long it will last. Second, I will need PlayBook Simulator 2.0 to run fine...

Thanks for your help. I hope we can have a stable solution on this.