Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Regular Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: BBM test server not working with BB10 simulator

It is being run on the main PC windows 7x64!

Once a simulator is connected to BBM server by controller does it have to remain in memory?

If controller remains in memory and simulator is restarted will BBM server and simulator connect on their own?

If the BBM server is restarted while controller and simulator remain in memory will they connect?

No combination or sequence seems to make any difference.

Regular Contributor

Still not working for me and I still have questions about what controller etc does and how it works that I think should be in the documentation/instructions.

For instance,

Will BBM server work with either java jdk or jre?

How do I verify the required JCE policy is active?

After BBM server to simulator connection is made, is the controller still required in memory?

When the server is shutdown and restarted does it remember its simulator connections, what information does it save?

Where is BlackBerry ID saved - BBM server or simulator?

When the simulator is shut down and restarted does it remember its BBM server connection?

What happens if the IP address for BBM server or simulator are changed?

For each test should you start with new simulators and server installs?

Why can't BBM server run in a virtual machine. The OS doesn't know its a virtual machine. The BBM server just accesses an IP address on the network. What would be the issue?

Regular Contributor

Well, it has been two weeks now and I am no closer to being able to test me application on the BBM test server.

If someone has actually gotten this to work would you please tell me how you did it because following the sparse instructions provided by rim just doesn't work.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Have you been following the documentation here?  https://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/bb10/bbmsp_testing_bbm_app_dev_alpha_simulator...

You do not have to leave the Simulator Controler running to test BBM.  It's just used to configure the simulator.  If you want to update the IP address or PIN, you need to run the controller again.

The BBM Server Simulator works with the JDK versions 1.6 and 1.7.  But note that 1.6 and 1.7 have different JCE files, as do the 32 and 64 bit versions, so make sure you've used the correct ones.

The BBM Server Simulator should work in a VM as well, but running it on the host OS rules out one more variable.

Maybe they installed the BlackBerry 10 Simulator package on Win 7 64 bit but not did not install the JCE files on it?
IF they did install the BBM Server from the Simulator package on the Win XP VM , did they install the JCE files on the VM as well?

Are you using Java 6_41 32bit or 64 bit for both Win 7 and VM XP?

Did you download and extract the JCE for Java 6 (not JCE for Java 7) and where did they extract it to for both Win 7 and VM XP?

Can you provide a directory listing of where you placed the JCE files for both Win 7 and VM XP?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Regular Contributor

First, it would certainly be nice if the instructions can be printed so that we are not always flipping back and fort and we could systematically check of each step as we go. Yeah, I probably can find some way to print the page but not always and I sort of like it when I can do the File->Print.

Pretty sure I got the 32-bit/64 bit straight but some questions about Java.

For instance,  both JDK and JRE ok? But lib/security is in different directory for each. One level lower for jdk.

For 64bit systems is both 32bit and 64 bit java installed? And therefore, must both 32bit and 64bit JCE be installed as well?

Is Java 7 and  Java 1.7 the same thing. Seems to be on Oracle site.

In one place it says BBM server simulator does not support Java 7. But you say BBM server Simulator workd with JDK versions 1.6 and 1.7. So are 1.7 and 7 the same, if so which statement is correct. Should you be saying JDK and JRE versions 1.6 and 1.7. If you say it works with JDK shouldn't your examples be JDK and not JRE?

You can use JDK or JRE for the BBM Server Simulator.  I recommend using the 32 bit version, even on a 64 bit OS.  In my experience it is much more reliable.

Both Java 6 and 7 are supported.  I'll have that page updated to note that.

You can see which version of Java would be picked up by opening a command prompt and using the "java -version" command.  If you have a JRE and JDK installed of the same version, you could copy the JCE files to both to be safe.

Mark Sohm

Regular Contributor

Just a note, I always have to bridge network in simulator settings to see these simulators and connect to them, no mention in instructions.

Went through whole process again - clean simulators and servers, and  32bit java on 64bit machine.

Looked better at first.

No mention of BlackBerry id setup in instructions so I can only assume that the live connections are valid and I verified my email addresses!  Some issues, delays, never seems to really recognize balackberry id.

But both simulators ended with Temporary Server Error on and Unable To complete setup screen.

Quick flash of trying to associate something before decrypt error on server and error message screen.

here are last log entries

<2013-03-12 16:01:33.521 EDT>:[69]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = EP2P, EVENT = Notification, DEVICEPIN = 1234AAAA, Coverage = ON>
<2013-03-12 16:15:48.695 EDT>:[70]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = KeyNego, DEVICEPIN = 1234aaaa, EVENT = Accepted , PACKET = NEGOV2>
<2013-03-12 16:15:48.695 EDT>:[71]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = KeyNego, DEVICEPIN = 1234aaaa, EVENT = Process  , PACKET = NEGOV2>
<2013-03-12 16:15:48.696 EDT>:[72]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<INFO >:<LAYER = KeyNego, KeyNego Received NEGO: 1234aaaa>
<2013-03-12 16:15:48.697 EDT>:[73]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<INFO >:<LAYER = KeyNego, KeyNego Client version: 1234aaaa : 10.0.10.5>
<2013-03-12 16:15:49.086 EDT>:[74]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = KeyNego, DEVICEPIN = 1234aaaa, EVENT = Accepted , PACKET = DEVYV2>
<2013-03-12 16:15:49.086 EDT>:[75]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = KeyNego, DEVICEPIN = 1234aaaa, EVENT = Process  , PACKET = DEVYV2>
<2013-03-12 16:15:49.087 EDT>:[76]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<INFO >:<LAYER = KeyNego, KeyNego Received Packet: 1234aaaa>
<2013-03-12 16:15:49.099 EDT>:[77]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<INFO >:<LAYER = KeyNego, KeyNego Successful for PIN: 1234aaaa>
<2013-03-12 16:15:49.401 EDT>:[78]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<ERROR>:<GME Decryption Error: 1234AAAA NULL returned from decompress()>
<2013-03-12 16:15:49.402 EDT>:[79]:<MDS-CS_MDS-CS>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = GME, EVENT = Exception, EXCEPTIONCLASS = net.rim.protocol.gme.implementation.b.o, CLASS = IncomingMessagesFromLowerLayer, METHOD = run, MESSAGE = Cannot decrypt encrypted message 1234AAAA>

Don't use your real BlackBerry ID in the simulator, make a new one up to use there.  Otherwise you can have issues on your real BlackBerry Smartphone.

Our internal testing and development teams have been digging into this error but have been unable to reproduce it.  Do you still have the VM image you ran the BBM Server Simulator in that showed this error?  If there is nothing confidential in it, would you be willing to upload the VM to us here so we can attempt to reproduce this in house?

Mark Sohm

Regular Contributor

I have zipped the directories of the two vms and java directory I hope is being accesses, in one of them is the bbm server I used.  Email me with address or I can send to Garett.

Thanks!  I will send you a private message in a few minutes with details on where to upload it.

Mark Sohm