Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Q10 & Z10
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry 10 Simulator - Audio

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a trouble with playing audio on Simulator 10.1. As I understood, there are some known issues about this with older versions. I went though many forums and I couldnt find the answer. My VMware player supports audio and it had automaticaly found sound card -> if there is an incoming call, I can hear ringing. If Im trying to play any mp3 file, I got an unsupported_media_type error.

Can somebody give me a final answer, is it possible to work with audio or better with audio streams via simulator 10?

Every answer is welcome

Sincerely

P.S. Sorry, I probably posted it into wrong place

Retired
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BlackBerry 10 Simulator - Audio

Hi @kapral,

Unfortunately, the multimedia playback support is very limited on the simulator; some audio codecs are supported but nothing related to video. This is due to the licensing issues for codecs. MP3 should be supported though. 

This is the list I have at the moment (might be slightly outdated; awaiting some internal confirmation now) for supported codecs on the simulator:

Audio: 3GP, AAC, MIDI, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and wav files

Video: None

If you still cannot play MP3 perhaps you can try with some of these other ones?

Cheers,
Rashid

Application Development Consultant | Developer Relations

BlackBerry
@surashid

New Developer
My Device: Q10 & Z10
My Carrier: None

Re: BlackBerry 10 Simulator - Audio

Hi @surashid,

thank you for responce. Nowadays Im able to play wav file, I assume that the trouble was on my side. (still having troubles with mp3 - will try on device)

Im trying to develop an application for calling - its very important for me to use AMR codec for recording. Also I have to be able to work with each recorded frame, but I cant figure out how to reach them.

Can you or somebody help me with that??

On android devices there are nessesary that recording and playing audio streams must run in one common thread. Does someone have some experience how it works on BB??

Sincerely

Kapral