Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Disappearing icon

Hi,

I have an application that was developed for me for a Bold, and some users have noticed that the icon for the app sometimes changes from the one it was deployed with to a basic looking generic "wireframe" for no reason. Our developer says there is nothing in thge code to cause this. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Patrick

New Contributor
My Device: Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Disappearing icon

I am having the same issue on a 9700 Bold.  Cannot find any specific activity that makes it happen, but after using the phone for a while our app icon changes to the generic folder icon.

The text label displayed when the icon is highlighted is still correct, and clicking the generic icon does launch our app.

I have also seen it change back to the correct icon once, though after a couple more hours it was back to the generic.

Would welcome ideas on how to track down the issue or prevent it from happening...

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Has the icon been specified within the projects properties or is it being set using the HomeScreen class?  Are you using a static icon, rollover icon or icon that changes based on activity within the application?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Contributor
My Device: Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon

The icon is specified in the project properties.  The Icon File and Focus Icon File properties are set to the same image file.  Could that cause this issue?

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

It's possible.  They should point to different image files.  If you don't want the rollover effect, don't specify a rollover icon (just leave it blank).

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hello. I too get my app's icon disappearing. Actually two apps, both created in JDE 4.6 and running in Bold 9700 5. 0 and Torch 9800 6.0 handhelds.

In one, the icon is static. There is no rollover icon at all. It works fine for a few days, then seemingly out of the 'blue', it changes to a blue generic icon. It contains a system module and a gui entry point, but it's the entry point which disappears.

In the other app, the icon is changed regularly from code. It does the same thing. For that app the icon is critical. Softreset doesn't restore the icon, but it appears to come back by itself. I'm afraid I haven't been able to pin it down any more than that.

Any workarounds, in code or even to tell my users, would help, thanks

J.