Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.
BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)
BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.
"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."
- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com
Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.
09-25-2012 07:31 PM
"It has been frozen there for about 30 min"
Mine was stuck for a couple of hours.
Then it must have timed out, after which it gave me the option to retry. When I retried it more or less immediately started to install.
I don't know what it would take to permit over the air updates (as with Playbook) but whatever it would cost must be worth it to avoid this nonsense every time. I've wasted most of this afternoon and evening on what is rapidly turning out to be a waste of time.
09-25-2012 07:43 PM
Got a bit further this time, as far as writing to device then got the error:
Unspecified error encountered [A:0x00000080]
It is booting now so I'll try again...
This time for sure! -- Bullwinkle
09-25-2012 08:09 PM
Got mine working.
Ok, I got mine to detect a "repair" following most of what papped said, in combination with the following:
*NOTE* YOu may only have to start at step 13...
I got mine working using the following:
1) Plug Dev Alpha into computer
2) Open device manager
3) uninstalled the 2 "CD-ROMS" that were installed
4) uninstalled USB Mass Storage Device
5) unplugged dev-alpha
6) killed all processes that have "RIM" in them
7) uninstalled AppLoaderWebSL_188.8.131.52.msi
8) uninstalled desktop software
9) reboot PC
10) downloaded Desktop Software v7.1.0 B33 (BlackBerry - Desktop Software - US)
11) installed above
12) installed AppLoaderWebSL_184.108.40.206.msi
13) ran desktop manager
14) rebooted dev-alpha (at this point, the "smartphone should install")
15) reboot dev-alpha again and desktop manager should prompt you that it can't connect - click "repair"
16) *SUPER IMPORTANT* press and hold power button again until you see red LED and voila ... it recognizes the device and sees an update!
09-25-2012 08:10 PM - edited 09-25-2012 09:34 PM
Lots of space on my machine, but I will keep an eye on that to see if if fills up as we go.
I ran the .msi file again and that reset the process back to downloading the module. Network seems busier now so it is taking longer but it is progressing steadily. Fingers and toes crossed.
At least it has never bricked yet, I always get back to 10.0.6
I take it back. I had 8 GB free on C Drive and at about 20% done it was down to 7 GB free. So I freed up another 6 GB. Hope that will be enough. I have 14 GB free now.
So the 0x80 error was disk space. Success!
09-25-2012 09:41 PM
Steps if you've bricked your Dev Alpha (only have web browser):