Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Extremely slow Blackberry 10 simulator

I'm having trouble getting the simulator up and running. This is my VMWare configuration:

PROCESSORS
-I've set Virtualization engine to "Binary translation" since the "Automatic" option does not work, and my CPU does not support the "Intel VT-x" options.
-# cores: 1 or 2.

DISPLAY
-Display options: 3D Acceleration checked, use host settings checked.

Problems:

• My gx card is an integrated Intel G33 Express. If I try to boot it in normal mode, the VM hangs in the "screen" line. So the only way for me is to boot in safe mode.
  • My simulator is so slow that it is unusable. Even scrolling up the screen causes rendering issues. To give you an idea, it takes 10 to 20 minutes just to load the OS.

Questions:

1. I've changed the # of processor cores to 2 because that's the real number of cores of the device, and I thought trying to use it with 1 core would break the OS. (EDIT: I've tested it with 1 core but it hangs in the BB logo screen with colours) Is this good at all? Which one is the best for performance?
  2. My current development machine is not that old. Is there any hope for me given that my CPU does not support VT?
  3. Could I at least run the simulator in a more powerful machine in my LAN but develop in the SDK in my computer?
Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Extremely slow Blackberry 10 simulator

I had somewhat the same problem on my Linux computer. But I can only seem to get the Simulator running in Safe mode. In the normal mode it hangs when booting.. Whatever I do, it doesn't boot up in normal mode. But when I want to use the simulator in Safe mode, it seems that I cannot upload an application to the simulator.

I have tested the same application and simulator on the same computer, but in Windows. And there the simulator works perfectly. So it can't be a problem with the virtualisation.

Are you also using Linux? Because maybe then there is something wrong with the support of VMware on Linux.. Just brainstorming..

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

No, I'm on a WXP machine.

The virtualization is clearly my problem. I don't mind about using safe mode, perhaps this means that graphics workload is handled to the virtual CPU instead of the computer gx card, but I'm guessing here. My CPU lacks VT support, so it's never going to be as fast as one having VT. According to this official blog post, it's going to be a thousand percent slower:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/08/performance-increase-blackberry-10-simulator/

As my PC is kind of old, it can't run the simulator at a decent emulation speed.

In your case, if you can't install an app in safe mode, maybe it is because of the networking config of the virtual machine instance. I think it has to be set to direct connection instead of NAT, but I might be wrong, as I never get anywhere close to deploy an app.

Contributor
My Device: device field.
My Carrier: device field.

Hi All,

To quick launch BB 10 simulator never do power off the VM always do suspend. Its really quick, definitely it solves your problem.