Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: Developer

Howto Use multiple vendor code signing keys within Momentics

Hi,

I have two separate vendor accounts for which I need to develop an app for on the same development machine using the same install of momentics.  Can someone please tell me how I can go about puclishing two apps for two different vendors.  So far I figured I could do something like the following but think there is probably a much better way..

My thoughts were to use the built in Backup Restore function ( within the blackberry code signing preferences page ) to swap vendor accounts,  as I have already one vendor account bound to it I figured I would need to first back up using the BACKUP and then delete the bbidtoken.csk file, unregister and then register using the new vendor id then do a BACKUP of the new vendor account. 

Moving forward just RESTORE for the vendor I want to do the publish as.

is this the best way or is there a preferred method for accomplishing this..

thanks,

GeoYeo - Free Local classifieds - Built for Blackberry 10, if you like it please Rate It and Share it!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Howto Use multiple vendor code signing keys within Momentics

You are on the right track.  Have a look at this article, which explains how to handle this.

BlackBerry 10 Code Signing Guide for Contractors with Multiple Clients

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Thank you, I have another question I have both the 10.2 and 10.1 sdk installed, can I use the bbdtoken to publish a build using the 10.1 sdk or do I need to use code signing keys in place of the bbidtolken.csk which appears to be introduced in 10.2?

GeoYeo - Free Local classifieds - Built for Blackberry 10, if you like it please Rate It and Share it!

BlackBerry ID Tokens are not supported in 10.1.  If you use a code signing key, I recommend linking it to a BlackBerry ID account, which will allow your client to restore in the future if needed.

Alternatively you could create the build in 10.1, but sign it from the command line using blackberry-signer.bat from the 10.2 SDK.

Mark Sohm

Developer

Hi,

Thanks, I did link vendor "A" keys to my Blackberry Account, and then used the "Backup" function I am now trying to implement vendor "B" keys in order to publish a Vendor "B" product. I wish I could just use the 10.2 SDK, but then as it has not been officially released I would not have many users downloading it..  so I ideally I would like to as painlessly as possible publish using the 10.1 SDK and also the 10.2 SDK.  as I have probably messed thing up it would like the simplest route would be sign using the command line as you have suggested in conjunction with the appropriate BBIDToken.csk. is there a way to batch this into the Momementic IDE or do I need to shell out to the command prompt and manually perform this function or run a bat file?

Also it seems that when I use the BBIDToken.csk  its not so easy to make use of the debug token, I;m able to use Vendor "A" debug tokens for testing Vendor "B" apps, however the Author and AuthorId that appear within Vendor B's bar file need to reflect the debug token for vendor "A".  IS author name, author id import when pushing a release build?

How would you suggest I handle this within a multi vendor environment?

Thanks,

You will need to use the command line to sign in a different version of the SDK than you are building in.  The IDE will take care of it for you if you sign and build in the same version.

The easiest route is likely to sign in 10.1 using code signing keys (which it sounds like you have anyway).

When debugging, the author in the bar-descriptor.xml must match the details for the code signing keys/BlackBerry ID token used to create the debug token.  Easiest way to align that is to just press the "Set from Debug Token" button, which will pull the information from the configured debug token.

Mark Sohm

Developer

Hi

>>"The easiest route is likely to sign in 10.1 using code signing keys (which it sounds like you have anyway)."

this is correct but then it sounds like I need to manually restore the vendor "A", Vendor "B" code signing keys each time depending on which vendor I'm publishing for as the "Backup, Restore function build into the IDE only backps up the bbidtoken.csk and the author.p12 which it appears is only good for when I'm using the 10.2 sdk.  So unless I'm missing something is seems like the easiest route would be to run a batch file to sign 10.1 sdk .bar file uaing the 10.2 bar-signer and then just let the ide do the signing for 10.2 .bars.  but is there an option to run batch from within the IDE or do I still need to shell to the command prompt.

Also am I understanding you correctly that Author name and author ID has nothing to do with code signing a release build and that I only need to be concerned with this in order to run test buids on my device which is using  a debug token.? in other words I can keep the same author name/author id for all vendors ?

Thanks,

There isn't a way from the IDE GUI to choose to sign with the tools from a specific version of SDK.  You need to use the command line to do that.

The author name isn't really that important, but author ID is.  Package-Author-Id is tied to your signing account (code signing key or BlackBerry ID).  If the author ID changes between versions of your application, you'll have this problem. 

Error "File bundle (your_name) has been rejected." When Uploading BAR File to BlackBerry® World™

Mark Sohm

Developer

it is okay to have the same package author id, shared between several applications and several vendors?, this way I can just use one debug token on my target machine

Technically this is possible but not something I'd recommend, at least for the final release build uploaded to BlackBerry World.  This is more a question of ownership best discussed with your clients.

If your client uses a different vendor than yourself for version 2 of their application, they will need to sign with the same code signing key/BlackBerry ID.  How comfortable are you going to be handing that over when you are using it to sign your other client's applications?

Testing and debugging is a different story and really not much of an issue.

Mark Sohm