Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Installing additional simulators for eclipse plugin

I am using the 5.0 SDK with the eclipse 1.1 plugin

In C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Smartphone Simulators 5.0.0 I have several additional simulators installed.

How do I make these appear in the list of devices on the simulator tab in the eclipse run configurations? I can only see the devices included with the original plugin.

Thanks!

Developer

Re: Installing additional simulators for eclipse plugin

Hi,

I am not sure if this is supported but it works for sure.

When you have additional simulators installed on your computer and you want to see them in the eclipse plugin, you can follow the following steps:

1. Open ecipse and right click on the project name from Package Explorer window.
  2. Go to Run As -> Run configuration...
  3. Click 'New launch configuration' icon on the upper left corner.
  4. Give the name of the new configuration and go to Simulator tab.
  5. Inside Simulator tab, Click New button and provide the name of the profile in the dialog box.
  6. Check if the new profile name is selected in the drop down menu.
  7. Now go to Advanced tab (the last tab).
  8. Click on the Browse button of the textbox which reads 'Working Directory'
  9. Set the simulator directory of the new simulator which you want to add (C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Smartphone Simulators 4.6.0\4.6.0.150 (9000)
  10. After setting this, click on the Edit Command button which is above this text box.
  11. Change the handheld parameter's value to the new simulator (device) model number which you want to add.
  12. Change app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:XXXX.xml where XXXX is the model number of the new simulator you want to use.
  13. That's it. Now you can use this launch configuration to run in the new simulator you installed.

Again, I am not sure if this is supported or not, but it works Smiley Wink

- Rohan

Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Actually I updated to the .latest of the eclipse plugin and now it picks up other installed simulators automatically so all it well atm.

Thanks again!

Developer

Oh, thant's great!

All's well that ends well Smiley Wink

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9800
My Carrier: Verizon

Just a note of warning -- when you install the new Simulator, if you want it to appear automatically in Eclipse, do not change the default installation directory!  I did that first (since there was already a Simulators directory in the Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Blackberry Device Simulators).  But don't choose that one!  It didn't show up in Eclipse. Then I tried many things to get it to show up in Eclipse, to no avail.  Finally uninstalled and re-installed in their new default directory -- Program Files\Research In Motion\Blackberry Smartphone Simulators 6.0.

Now it shows up in Eclipse.  Of course, it doesn't work, and it broke my ability to even download a project onto a device.  Now when I select "Load Project onto Device", the progress dialog hangs, and I can only quit it by killing with TaskMgr!!!  Thanks so much RIM.