Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

My Device: 8830
My Carrier: Multiple
Accepted Solution

MDS Simulator starts Then Closes

I have installed Java, MDS simulator and the BBY simulator on a laptop. The installs all ran without any errors. I have done this for 5 or 6 other people and have had no problems. On this machine when I go to start the MDS simulator the DOS box opens and closes within seconds so I cannot see any of the messages. Then when I start the BBY simulator it opens but when I try to run our app I get a communication error. On other machines the DOS box stays open and the simulator works fine. I found an article about this type of problem and did the recommended fixes and the MDS simulator still does not work. I have checked the logs on this machine and there are NO errors. I uninstalled everything and started over and it still does not work. Has anyone seen this type of problem before ?

Thanks,

Bill

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: MDS Simulator starts Then Closes

This is typically caused by an issue with the Java environment on a PC. Have you seen the article below?

BlackBerry MDS Simulator does not launch

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/BlackBerry-MDS-Simulator-does-not-laun...

If so, what version of JDK has been installed on that PC?  What has the JAVA_HOME variable been set to?  What is the PATH environment variable set to?  What does "java -version" show when run from a command line?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
ckn
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I'm having the same problem as the original poster and I was wondering if there was something else I could try in order to fix issue.

JDK version: jdk1.6.0_21

JAVA_HOME variable: "set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21" in run.bat and I set  environment variable for JAVA_HOME to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21"

java -version:

java version "1.6.0_21"

PATH environment variable: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\bin;

CLASSPATH environment variable: .C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\lib\tools.jar

MDS version: BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.2.17

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (JDK, MDS and Simulator) but the DOS window for the MDS Simulator continues to close after I attempt to run the .bat (both as administrator and as normal user).

Any additional suggestions?

Sincerely,

CKN

The version 4.1.2 MDS-CS Simulator requires JDK version 1.5.  It does not work with version 1.6.

Mark Sohm

ckn
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you, MSohm! It works now.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

I am having this same problem. At this date, it does not seem possible to obtain version 1.5 of the JDK, so I'm stuck with the newest version.

If you have a link where this can be obtained, I would be greatful for the advice.

We don't have JDK 1.5 available for download. Nor do we currently have a stand alone installer for the MDS-CS Simulator that supports JDK 1.6.

However, the MDS-CS Simulator included with our newer developer tools does work with JDK 1.6.  So you can use the one present in the BlackBerry Web Plug-ins, BlackBerry Java SDK version 6.0 or BlackBerry JDE version 6.0.

Mark Sohm

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

I've installed the BlackBerry JDE version 6.0, and I have the JDK 1.6 installed. When I run the 'run.bat' file in the Blackberry JDE\MDS folder, it does the same thing, opens then closes.

Any thougths on what I might not have right?

Refer to the link I posted above.  You can also run the run.bat commands from a command prompt to view the error (that you can't see because the window closes).

Mark Sohm

Contributor
My Device: Pearl 4.5
My Carrier: vodafone

I downloaded BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.4.exe yesterday and went throught the same problems as countless others. This file is dated 2007.

There is no informaiton on the download pages, or a readme file, that you are going to waste time figuring out that is won't run because

1. You might  need to edit the run.dat

2. You might need to change security seting on the directory it installs in.

3. You might need to install it in c:\

4. You probably have the wrong version of the Java JDK installed.

Why doesn't RIM provide some better pre-installation information and a link to the knowledge base for MDS support issues?