Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Blackberry

Memory Issue in Blackberry Simulator 9800

I am having a problem with blackberry simulator 9800. I am developing an application to be used in Blackberry 9800 device. I need to test this application how it works in the device after deploying by using 9800 simulator. The problem is I am able to deploy the application in the simulator 9800. But when I tap on the application icon I am getting an alert like "Device memory is low some applications will be closed" with an "OK" button. If I tap on that button I am getting an alert again stating that "Catastrophic asserion failure". And then the simulator is getting closed. As per the RIM the 9800 simulator is having 512MB internal flash memory and 4GB intrenal storage memory. Can anyone share a solution to me how to increase the internal flash memory in the simulator. I tried deleting the default applications in the simulator. Once the simulator gets closed  and run the application again the deleted applications are getting installed again. So in this way I am not able to increase the internal flash memory in the simulator and not able run the application I developed. I am using rhomobile plugins in eclipse and using sencha-touch to develop the apps. Could anyone  share me any solution ASAP how to resolve this memory issue. How can I delete the default applications of simulator like facebook,youtube,twitter,... permanantly. Share the solution ASAP.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Memory Issue in Blackberry Simulator 9800

This sounds more like a lack of free RAM on your computer (the simulator is not able to obtain the memory it requires).  Do you have 1 GB of free RAM when running it?

I also recommend running clean.bat, located in the simulator directory to reset it back to its default state.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Contributor

The memory I am having in my computer is 4GB RAM. But the blackberry simulator is not consuming the available RAM in the system. It is consuming the 512MB internal flash memory which is the default memory of simulator. It is not allocating the required memory for the application. And getting device memory low issue. I repeatedly executed clean.bat for every execution of my application. But no use. Still I am getting the same memory issue. Is there any chance of incresing the flash memory of simulator from 512MB to some more extent. Could anyone share the solution ASAP.

You cannot increase the flash or RAM memory available to the BlackBerry smartphone simulator.  It is designed to simulate the memory of a real device.

It sounds like your application is storing a lot of data.  Instead of writing it to internal flash memory you should store this on the micro SD card, which has a lot more space.  Here are instructions on how to simulate a micro SD card:

Use a computer file system as a microSD card

Mark Sohm

Highlighted
New Contributor

I do accept with your reply. But I am not blackberry plugins with eclipse. I am using rhomobile plugins along with eclipse and using sencha-touch to develop the applications. In the "Run Configurations" of eclipse there is no any feature to store the data into SDcard.

You can also configure the simulated microSD card by modifying the command line used to start the BlackBerry smartphone simulator.  The article I linked to above has steps for that as well.  You could use that approach to modify the way the simulator is started in your development environment.

Mark Sohm