Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Momentics stopped connecting to BB10 simulator

I'm not sure what happened. I was always deploying and testing apps just fine on the BB10 simulator. It would always auto discover the target even. But ever since I set up the BBM server to connect to (successfully), I stopped being able to load my apps on the simulator. I'm not sure if they have anything to do with each other or it's just coincidence.

I've tried manually connecting to the simulator IP and it doesn't work. It doesn't auto discover it anymore like it used to. Has anyone run into the same issue?

Thanks

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Momentics stopped connecting to BB10 simulator

Are you able to ping the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha's IP address?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Priv, 9810, PlayBook, 9000, 8820
My Carrier: AT&T

I'm having this problem now with IDE and simulator 10.3.1.995.  Most of the time over the last week it's connected fine.  Sometimes it fails, but a second try works, or it fails a few times but restarting one or the other or both works.

But today, I can't get it to connect at all.  Restarting either doesn't help.  The simulator's IP address hasn't changed.

I did notice that pinging the simulator's IP address times out.  Don't know if that was the case before, or if a response is expected...

Completely blocked right now.  Frustrating.

Is it just me?

If you are unable to ping the simulator you won't be able to connect to it.  There is probably some firewall or VPN software blocking the connection.  Changing the network configuration in the simulator might help.  To do that open VMWare Player, select the simulator and choose "Edit virtual machine settings".  Then click on Network Adapter, then try the different options under "Network connection" (Bridged, NAT, etc...).  Some will work in environments where others don't.  You'll need to restart the simulator for this change to take affect.

Mark Sohm

New Developer

Thanks, Mark.  I'll try those.

The weird thing is, it was working fine for a few weeks, then just stopped and won't connect any more.  I haven't changed anything about the simulator, the VMWare player, or the IDE config.  It sounds like the ping-fail suggests that the issue is more on the simulator's side than the IDE's, so at least that helps narrow the field a bit.

Yes, it's a simulator issue or an issue with something between the IDE and simulator.  If you can't ping the simulator the IDE won't be able to connect.

Mark Sohm

New Developer

Okay, so...

• VMWare "Network Connection" had been set to "NAT".  This had been working for the few weeks before, but stopped working yesterday, so...
  • Set to "Host-only". Simulator is "Getting IP..." but never seems to get one.  (Waited several minutes.)
  • Set to "Bridged". Simluator gets a new 192.168.1.x IP. I set IDE to use that; took almost a full minute, but reached the "Device Password: OK" stage, but never got past that.  (Ran for half an hour while I was interrupted by something else.)

Wondering if something could have changed within the simulator itself... 

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Another oddness/symptom: A few apps included within the simulator worked when I experimented with them -- e.g., the LinkedIn app could access LinkedIn, log into my account, download contacts, etc.  Now, it cannot, complaining that it has no connection.  Might just be another symptom of the same thing, but just shows that the connection-issue goes both ways...

Looking through the sim's BB10 settings for ideas...

New Developer

I tried turning off Windows Firewall, just in case; no effect.

New Developer

I finally got tired enough of this, and it was starting to feel like a VMWare-level problem, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the VMWare Player.  (Technically, I uninstalled VMWare Player v7.1.0-2496824 and then installed VMWare Player v7.1.2-2780323, but I don't think the version numbers were the issue.)  Loaded the same simulator instance into the new player installation and... now it works.  It took a loonnng time to get through the "API Level" step, but other than that....

Still wish I knew what happened to break it, and worry that it'll just happen again 'cause I don't know what to watch for, but... for now...