Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Playbook simulator fails to launch

When I try to launch the Playbook simulator in VMPlayer in Windows 7 I get the following:

QNX v1.2b Boot Loader: vmware.ifs

Unable to access /dev/hd0

Unable to access /dev/nvram (2)

open(/dev/nvram) failed: No such file or directory

Mount: Can't mount /base (type qnx6)

Mount: possible reason: Invalid argument

sh: /base/scripts/startup.sh: No such file or directory

Anyone help me with this please?

New Contributor
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Playbook simulator fails to launch

Hey, I had the same problem. It seems my antivirus quarantined some of vmware's files. It worked when I unquarentined them and restarted the simulator. I don't know if that's what fixed the issue since the simulator ran the very first time (with the files quarentined).

I've only run the simulator twice so maybe the problem will come back.

Also, I'm still getting "Unable to access /dev/hd0" but it launches fine. 

Hope this is somewhat useful.

New Contributor
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Rogers

After some more testing removing the files from the quarentine had no effect. It was the reset that did the trick.

I usually have to restart the simulator a couple times before it works.

New Developer
My Device: non-BlackBerry user (developing apps for PlayBook)

Hi there,

I've got the same exact problem, but I have been unable to fix it thus far. No files appear to have been quarantined, but multiple restarts, even multiple reinstalls has fixed the problem.

I have followed installation guides very precisely but no dice - this is very frustrating!

Does anyone have a possible alternative solution to this problem, or an alternative simulator to use to test PlayBook apps?

Thanks

Developer
Developer
My Device: playbook 4G/LTE
My Carrier: none

i have the problem on win-XP.

seems system reboots fix it up briefly.

i'd suspect a bug in vmplayer not freeing up a system resource it accessed and now the resource is 'busy.'

Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys, seems no one has an answer for this. I've reinstalled, installed as adminstrator, run as administrator, checked that no files are quarantined but still no joy. Very frustrating.

Developer
Developer

well now, it seems vmplayer v4.0.2 was only just released this jan.27 !!

nobody at rim has probably even noticed.

i uninstalled it, and installed the older 3.1.5 and no sign of this problem so far (knock on wood.)

REALLY RIM!

no excuse for this, if you are going to rely on 3rd party software you need to VALIDATE specific

versions of that software and either provide the download yourself or specifally name the version

number in your documentation.

i found out about the free playbook offer 6 days before the deadline, i lost two of my days (evenings)

screwing around with this problem. no way i'm going to make it now Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

oh well, at least i can relax this weekend instead of being in a coding frenzy.

(full discloser: when install vmplayer v3.1.5 i also added the XP boot option /usepmtimer -- but i'm sure it

is not the problem/cure. after all v4 worked once or twice each boot before screwing up and locking out a resource.)

Developer
Developer

...or was that jan.24 oh well, probably took a couple days to get to vmware's download site anyway.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks, downgrading to 3.1.5 got me past that problem. Now I can run versions 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 but can't deploy apps as it says the password is wrong  (tried 'playbook' but doesn't work) which apparently can be caused by a mismatch between simulator and sdk versions. When I try simulator 2.0.0 I get the stuck at starting screen problem which others have also experienced. I've tried all the suggested solutions and can only conclude that my display card isn't compatible.

I've spent hours and hours this week trying to get this to work but have decided that it's not worth the effort. If Blackberry really want to attract developers they need to make the development environment a whole lot easier to set up and use. I'm out. 

New Developer
My Device: non-BlackBerry user (developing apps for PlayBook)

I also got past that problem with the older version, and I have also had a similar subsequent set of absolutely ridiculous errors and problems.

I'm currently battling the "Cannot connect: Connection to https://<IP address> refused. You may have to reboot the target." error. None of the listed solutions make a difference, and although I've not received a 'password' error yet, I do seem to be having problems with the IP address. The session times out every time I try to ping the simulator's IP address.

Anyone have any ideas about this?