Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar, Telenor

Question on deployment

When marketing a BB application I have noted that the marketplace is a bit different from other mobile phones. BB customers are mostly of the enterprise type and the users are connected to an enterprise server. This is also the type of users our application is targeting. The application is already being  marketed for other mobile phones where it is deployed and licensed on an individual basis. This does not seem to be the way to go with BB since in most cases i suspect that the IT-department wants control over the deployment in the same way that  IT departments has control over the deployment of programs on company computers.  In many organisations the BB is like a computer with applications.

So my question is. What are the normal/common ways of deployment and licensing in the BB world?

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-
Trusted Contributor
My Device: various
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Question on deployment

Many successful corporate apps are marketed as purchases that an IT department can download, then deploy to their devices as they wish (site license type scenario). If you are going through app world only, your application may be blocked if the IT policy does not allow third party downloads.

You are correct in your description of how IT handles BlackBerry security. It can be locked down far more than any other device and selling to that is different than anywhere else.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar, Telenor

Re: Question on deployment

Thanks Sith,

>If you are going through app world only

Does that mean something specific  ("app world") or is just a way of saying  I will sell to individual users?

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-