Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Releasing New Version

What I noticed with releasing new version of the app is that it can not be held after approval. It is auto released onto the store. As a corporate that would like to align the release with their server release because the app is depended on the api, this is a limitation. Is there some other way or it is true. I tried to speak with support and this is the answer I'm provided with. 

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Releasing New Version

This is true, yes.

I can understand your case although wouldn't you always have the server ready ahead of time any way?

My advice is to enter a report in JIRA with this request.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Developer

we align all products together on the same night. we need to align all products. iOS is perfect, we can schedule date for release of new apps.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Not to defend the way BB World does it vs. iOS (I would also like to see BB World allow the developer to hold a new version from going live for a time after it has been approved, in order to e.g. coordinate marketing efforts, etc), but:

if you have version dependencies between your client and your server, don't you have to account for the fact that not all users will upgrade right the moment the next version of the server code goes live?

Seems like in this use case, the client should be telling the server what its version number is ... 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

As a workaround, assuming the user base is ok with the client app being unavailable for dowload for a few days while a new version is going through approval, you might consider removing the app from being "for sale" until it is approved, then manually go live with your server update at the same time you re-do the "post for sale" step in BB World.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

You do have control over this in BlackBerry World.  The default setting in BlackBerry World is to release the application to the public as soon as it is approved.  But you can uncheck that option when you are submitting your application for approval.  If you do, you'll have to manually put it up for sale after it has been approved.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Mark, I believed this was about releasing later versions of an app not a new app, it's easy to misconstrue the OP that way though. :-)
Reading the posts again however you may be correct and UberschallSamsara and I may have mis-read!

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.

Ahh, you're right.  If it's an upgrade, the option I mentioned doesn't exist.

Mark Sohm

New Developer

Mark, this is not about the initial release. This is about releasing subsequent releases. I get that we could code the app to handle both newer and old versions of our server so it works on both but it would really be nice to time the release at the same time. Currently, we want to ship a new version of an existing app and its automatically relase whenever its approved. We have no control of when its going to release or when it will be approved.

Thanks for all your help trying to clarify this but I hope BB introduce some feature so that we could control the release date of new version of existing apps. If I could record this somewhere as a feature request, please let me know. I think this will improved developer app portal.

I've sent your feedback to the product management team for BlackBerry World.

Mark Sohm