Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: verizon

Simulator times out on network connections

Using the eclipse plugin (win 7, jre 6.0, 7.0, 7.1.0) simulator can connect using the browser but not with other applications. I installed the sample app "NetworkAPIDemo" and it tries all the protocols starting with mds and fails on the first try, second round gets a success on mds but always times out with a "InteruptedIOException: Local connection timed out after ~ 120000". Same result with my app that uses BrowserField.requestContent() or HTTPConnection. Note that on the simulator Security Status Information reports: "Security simulation enabled" regardless of the run/debug configuration options (even tried signing the apps).

Any help appreciated, running out of things to try.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Simulator times out on network connections

I was finally able to get a connection by editing the mds run.bat file and adding the the JAVA_HOME=c:\path env. But I don't understand why the simulator's browser could connect and other connections fail. Recall that bb's own docs suggested that if the browser can connect and render blackberry.com, then the mds proxy thingy is running. Apparently this is not the case at all. Also interesting is that the NetworkAPIDemo still fails to connect on the first round of attempts, only finding success on round #2.