Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

KYS
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Simulator to run on Apple Mac

Hi

First post so please be nice to me.

My developer has sent me the first version of my App to test.

I am using a Apple Mac Book, is there a simulator I can run on my Mac to test the App?

Kind Regards

KYS 

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Simulator to run on Apple Mac

Device simulators only run on a Windows based OS. Could you load it on your device to test? Not ideal, but if you do, be sure to back up your device first.
--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300
esc
New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

I'm a new developer getting up to speed developing on a Mac, and my understanding is that there *are* simulators for some bb devices that run under VMWare on a Mac.

Developer

You're correct, you can actually run any of the simulators in VMWare if you so choose. However, my point is there is no native simulators for Mac OS.

Having gone to BlackBerry Developer Days 2011, Mac OS simulators are not coming ever. Which in my own opinion is just plain laziness on RIM's part.

--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The BlackBerry PlayBook simulator can run natively on Windows, Mac and Linux.

The BlackBerry smartphone simulators require Windows.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

[ Edited ]

MSohm,

I'd really love to dump my ThinkPad in favor of my Macbook Pro as my primary development machine and that may be the same for a lot of other people as well - I don't know.

My job is to develop for the smartphones and will continue to be that way for a very long time, so it would be nice to have the smartphone simulators available on Mac OS.

--Todd

KYS
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Yes lets have Sims that can run on Apple Mac's!

Smell the Coffee!

esc
New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

The directions I'm following for PlayBook development on a Mac have the simulator running under VMWare, not natively.

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

esc wrote:

The directions I'm following for PlayBook development on a Mac have the simulator running under VMWare, not natively.

This is how it works on all platforms.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

hi,

It is pretty clear from the posts that the Playbook tablet OS is the only BB OS to run on VMWare on the Mac. 

For others you need to use windows. Rather than attempt to run virtual windows in VMWare or Parallels I think that BootCamp would be the way forwards. I would have low expectations of running an emulator inside the VM Windows install but with bootcamp you are running a PC Windows OS directly and are therefore in the same situation as other blackberry phone developers. 

BTW, I was hoping to avoid emulation and just test on a device. But as posted on another thread I am returning the device I bought, and still need a solution. 

I am intending to use WebWorks and develop on the Mac. Does it make sense to do so and use a device for the purpose, or is Windows a necessity for such development? In theory just the device to test on should work.

Which device should I buy ? Do RIM have developer devices to offer ?

Also have developed and submitted Playbook App, and will hopefully get a free Playbook sometime later. Meanwhile, I also want to submit Phone Apps and am a little surprised that RIM are not doing more to encourage independent developers. I am somewhat encouraged by the waiving of fees, but how to get a device to test on ! Surely an obvious prerequisite !