Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Simulators -- too much information

I've been using various simulators to develop java applications, and I'm impressed on the whole with what they can accomplish. I find, however, that there's quite a bit of information thrown at you in a very short period of time -- most of which I don't understand. I put in my own debugging statements at various points in the code, allowing me to see exactly where issues are occurring, better read program flow, etc, but they often get lost in strings of random numbers or simulator variable updates. I'm all for being thorough, and I like that there's this kind of attention to detail, but most of these debugging statements don't pertain to my code, and I was wondering if there was a way for me to tone it down a bit. If I could work solely off of my own debugging statements and a few details about thrown exceptions it would really speed things along. Is such a thing possible?

On a slightly unrelated note, I also find that the simulators do some things a little too well. I can get my first autonomous GPS fix in less than a second, which makes it a little difficult test my application under real-world conditions.

Questions? Comments? Toasters?

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Simulators -- too much information

Agreed Dom. However, I think they're improving it along with the speed in which it launches. If there were a command-line argument to not make it so verbose right now then I'm all for it.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

I recommend posting this as a feature request in the Issue Tracker:  https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

I think I will. Thanks for the suggestion, Mark Smiley Happy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I just finished writing a plugin enabling me to filter out my debug prints from the rest of the prints to help tackle this issue. It might help you too:

http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/console-grep/