Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BB 9360
My Carrier: WIND
Accepted Solution

Size difference between simulator .bar vs device-release .bar

[ Edited ]

So, i finally created my first app and i am having hell lot of trouble shipping it. so, the following are the steps to generate the bar file. (using qnx momentics 2.0)

1) right-click on proect and export to a different directory

2) import those files in a new work-space.

3) right click on the project and change build configuration to device-release

4) build project

5) use bar-descriptor.xml to export the release build

6) creates a folder as BAR Packager and it has the bar file with arm/o.le-v7 (not sure what this means?). the size of the file is about 470 K.

but if i do the same step and instead use simulator-debug, the file size is about 1.6 M. 

when i click on the bar file for both the build configurations, it installs on the simulator (dont have a device to test on, so using the simulator for testing the device-release bar file). interestingly, simulator bar file works just fine but device-release bar file crashes.

is it an expected behaviour or am i missing something here? 

Thanks

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Size difference between simulator .bar vs device-release .bar

It's expected that the release bar file is much smaller than the debug bar file.  The debug version contains a bunch of extra stuff for debugging.

A device build (debug or release) won't work in the simulator because the simulator requires an x86 version and the real device ARM version of the binary files.

I'm not sure why you would have to export your project and re-import to do a release build.  What happens when you try that on your original project?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Thanks Mark, that certainly solves my question about deploying device bar file onto the simulator ( i thought that too that the architecture is different for simulator and device, so, i was the expected behavior)).

as for exporting and re-importing in the workspace, i was just following the documentation (http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/getting_started/tools/compiling.html). I dont think anything different happens if i just do release build in the same workspace. 

Thanks!

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

That shouldn't be necessary.  The link you posted isn't valid anymore.  Would you have another link that mentioned the need to re-import?

That may have been necessary after upgrading the BlackBerry Native SDK (from an early beta to a gold release).  But not for just creating a release build.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

There was a trailing closed bracket at the end of url and that's why you saw 404.
the url is http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/getting_started/tools/compiling.html

Never mind, the details are under "Migrating Resources" and that make sense as why we need to export and re-import.

S.