Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Developer
My Device: Not Yet
My Carrier: Not Yet

Testing web development with non-activated devices

I have a couple of used Blackberry 6 devices (Torch and Bold) that I bought used, and they are not activated on a cell service, since we don't use them as phones.

We use them to test our mobile web development.  The problem is that I don't have access to most of the Internet apps on the device nor can I access the App World to download 3rd party apps onto these devices.  All these activities seem to require Blackberry data service.  I need extra apps to test our web application and the workflow that our normal users would have (such as documents opening in 3rd party apps).

Is there some way for developers to get a full Internet/app experience without activating and paying monthly for useless services?  We don't need BBM, email, calling nor SMS, we just want to install and use Internet apps and App World.

Android and iOS devices are 100% functional with no cell service activated, except for calling/SMS and such obviously.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Testing web development with non-activated devices

App World 3.1, relesed in December allows WiFi only mode.  Refer to this link for a listing of new features in version 3.1, in particular, this part:  

WiFi Only Support

Allow BlackBerry App World to operate when only a Wi-Fi connection is present and without the need for a carrier data plan.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB29252

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Developer

Thank you.  There was an OS update for my devices (all running 6.x), but the Desktop software didn't offer me an upgrade to the App World (which was left at version 2.something), but I found I could download the App World 3.1 using the device web browser.

New Developer

Spoke too soon!  Downloading the App World 3.1 onto a Torch 9800 running OS "6.0 Bundle 1717", and I'm getting a "907 Invalid COD" error.

What does that even mean?  I can't install this via the desktop software, since the BB web site says I'm not allowed to download it, and use the device's browser.

Anyone know what a COD is, and how it could be invalid?

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

COD files are the application files that are installed onto BlackBerry Smartphones.

I recommend posting this new error in the BlackBerry App World forum here:  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-General/bd-p/appworld

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.