Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

3x more people browse the web from a BlackBerry than an iPhone.

Bango is urging brands to sieze the BlackBerry growth opportunity. You can read the news at http://news.bango.com and grab the white paper from http://bango.com/blackberrywp.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: 3x more people browse the web from a BlackBerry than an iPhone.

I have read the bango whitepaper. Overall it is a good study, but the ranking about devices sold on Q2 2009 is questionable : all Curve devices are put together, whereas iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS are seperated.

in my opinion, the 3 Curve series should be separated too in 3 series : 83x0 (first gen) / 8900 (new gen) / 85x0 (low budget gen).

besides, I am not diminishing the success of the recent 8520 model, but it is too early today to say (I quote) :
Recently, BlackBerry has begun to expand their dominant corporate position to provide a range of consumer friendly features and their Curve 8520 handset now dominates the IDC US smartphone charts ahead of all the Apple iPhone variants.

Though not technical at all, the white paper is very oriented towards network connections (which is very important for heavyside applications on the device but not much for lightside applications that work through the BlackBerry Browser. Besides, some evolutions desired in the whitepaper for the BlackBerry browser exclude very important features like AJAX or better DOM event management.

Finally, I find it surprising to make a statistics about BlackBerry browser, and splitting for each device (for example, 9500 and 9530 on two seperate lines). That can be useful for some developers (for instance some camera APIs are not available on the 9530), but it defeats the purpose of that statistics in my opinion. Statistics displayed could also have been shown on the same timescale. And statistics do not show the dynamics (the fact that the iPhone market share has increased by +300% in a year, compared to a two-digits progress for BlackBerry devices).

Nevertheless, I found the whitepaper very interesting.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: