Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint
Accepted Solution

A way to load external files into WebWorks application

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I'm struggling with the following problem.

My application is able to play 16-color animation sequences on a 34x18 LED matrix screen. 

I am working on a set of tools that make it relatively easy for people to create their own animations to play in my application. I would love to see what other people come up with.

However here's the problem: How are they going to load these new animations into my app? On Palm WebOS it's possible to load a file from any web host so on that platform I can simply tell the user to place a file on their webhost and enter the URL in my app.

On the PlayBook however, each domain needs to be explicitly added for permission in the app's config.xml. This makes it impossible for users to load files from their own webhost into my app.

So before I spend more time on perfecting these tools for end-users (I'm already using them myself but right now they're a bit crude) I need to know if it's going to be possible for users to put the files they have created with my tools onto their playbook and whether it's going to be possible to load a file into my app at some point, for example by offering a 'browse' button that exposes the local filesystem to select a file.

Is this (going to be) possible? If so I would also open a repository for people to submit animations to created to then possibly include in future updates of the app.

Let me know!

p.s. the app can be seen here.

In the animations section you can see various animations I created with my tool. They're stored in a JSON file. 

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: A way to load external files into WebWorks application

You can whitelist '*' to allow access by all domains.

I think this limits the ability for all domains to access the blackberry specific api's though.

I'm sure this is documented somewhere in the WebWorks getting started guides?

My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: A way to load external files into WebWorks application

My bad. I got it to work.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App