Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Adding icon to "desktop"

Is the only way to get an icon on a BlackBerry "desktop" to install an application?  I've been charged with trying to figure out a way to get an Icon on our customers BlackBerry (via some signup process) that when clicked would take them to a special web page that would allow them to see all the BlackBerry "ready" tools based on a subscription.  One of the problems we've run into is when creating an application (MDS Studio, VS.NET plug-in, or JDE), we do not get a "proper" jad/cod file with which we can use OTD. Thanks for your help.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Adding icon to "desktop"

You can create a Java BlackBerry application (using the BlackBerry JDE) that invokes the user's browser to your web site.  Please see the link below for a code example.

How To - Invoke the default browser
Article Number: DB-00010

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800440/How_To_...

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

OK, I've looked at that article and it looks promising, but is that the ONLY way to get an Icon on the BlackBerry "desktop"?
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

You can also use a Browser Channel push, however this requires the user be on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server and your application needs access to it.  You can read about this here:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/journals/jan_2005/push_me.jsp

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker