Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: non-BlackBerry user
My Carrier: non-BlackBerry user

Re: Alarm or LocalNotification

Erik, if I use the setTimeout and the application is sent to backgound will it still be open?

How about blackberry.pim.Task, could it be a way? Is there an alarm? Can I get a callback from the alarm raised by it?
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Applications can continue to run while in the background so I don't see why setTimeout wouldn't work but I haven't done a test on this yet to confirm. I can give it a go though.

blackberry.pim.task is would generate an OS-level reminder, however I do not believe you can set a callback to be automatically initiated. You may be able to register a global event listener that listens to system-level messages. If the task has a unique identification that can be listened for, you could then trigger an action. There's a custom extension for the global listener here:

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
New Developer
My Device: 9220
My Carrier: developer

Hi All,
I know this thread might be quite old but for some circumstances i have to do the same, which is adding a local notification on BB7, i tried the solution of the setTimeout and it didn't fire while in the backgroup.
Is there any valid solution ?
Thanks for your support.