Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900 / Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

App doesn't start in Simulator, Error: (This file could not be opened. Check that you have the correct permissions and try again.)

I am getting an error when I try to run my app after packaging it and loading it onto the Playbook simulator.

When I try to start my app, I get a white screen for 1 second, it blinks black for a second before going white again, and then I get this error message: "This file could not be opened. Check that you have the correct permissions and try again."

In my source folder I have:

config.xml

icon.png

Index.html

load.js

progress.css

I don't think any of my code uses anything that requires permissions. (ie, doesn't use shared files, or camera, etc)  Right now it is simply a textbox and a button that will call code that retrieves data from the database I have. In the API reference it says I don't need any permissions for the use of HTML5 database and sql.

This is my configuration file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"
        xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets"
        version="1.0.0.0">
<feature id="blackberry.ui.dialog" required="true" version="1.0.0"/>
  <name>Test</name>

<description>
    A simple test app.
  </description>

<author rim:copyright="2012">My Name</author>

<rim:orientation mode="landscape"/>
<rim:permissions>
<rim:permit>access_shared</rim:permit>
</rim:permissions>

<icon src="icon.png"/>
  <content src="index.html"/>

</widget>

I don't have anything that uses any files but I put in the "access_shared" to test, but it didn't help.

My app works fine in Opera browser, and also in Ripple simulator, I don't understand why it won't work on the playbook simulator.

I was reading something about Javascript extension and exporting it to a JAR file. Do I need to do that? I only have a single .js file with a few functions and variables defined that implement the database/sql functionality.

I can't think of anything else.....

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: App doesn't start in Simulator, Error: (This file could not be opened. Check that you have the correct permissions and try again.)

Make sure that the index.html file referenced in your config.xml has the exact same name as that of the index.html file embedded in your app.  You list all your files with the "I" for "Index.xml" in upper case.  The Tablet OS enforces a case-sensitive file system.

If that's the case, I would suggest renaming Index.html to index.html, repacking and trying again.   

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900 / Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: App doesn't start in Simulator, Error: (This file could not be opened. Check that you have the correct permissions and try again.)

WOW! Thanks. Don't I feel stupid....

because of a simple upper/lower-case i, it didn't work........, stayed up all night for this?

I eventually started from scratch again and I guess I named my files properly the second time around. -_-"