Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Application Menu (Swipe Down Menu) in Webworks for BB10.

As promise app using new bbUI swipedown menu http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/27406069/.

As for Sencha, I thought we had BB10 stuff with them? Not my area of focus so I am usually out of the loop ... I work with the Web Browser team.

Rory

--
Senior Systems Software Developer - Enterprise R&D

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Thanks for sharing Smiley Happy

I now see the workaround that BBUI.js has implemented. It's not technically pushing the app down and still violates the guideline which states "Make sure the application menu pushes the UI on the screen down", but I guess it's close enough and performance is great, even on the Dev Alpha A which apparently can't handle simple things like the sheet which appears when pressing the about button.

And about Sencha, I'm not going to pollute this thread with screenshots, but it's far behind bbui.js which is still missing key behaviours (last time I checked). It's a bit frustrating as everything happens behind closed doors and we only see the results every 3 months and so far it's been disappointing.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.

Yeah it is as close to the guidelines as is possible with WebWorks at the moment, it gives the appearance that the app is being moved down. and technically it is moving the UI down so the effect is still there to end users.

Oh the DevAlpha A, I have no idea what this performs like on that. I have been testing with a DevAlphaB like device and a Q10, works great on those Smiley Happy All of the applicaiton menu stuff is now down on the GPU so that probably helps a little.

Yes I can see that being frustrating. Excuse my ignorance, but if it is open source why do you only see results every 3 months?

--

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)
Contributor
My Device: BB 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Airtel

When you say that the application menu pushes the rest of the app "down", do you mean that the application actually goes down towards the bottom, or does it mean that the Z order of the application changes now that the Menu is on the top?

I had this question because, when I implemented the menu in my app, I am seeing the second behaviour very similar to what the documentation says here about BB10. (Look at the image for BB10)

Developer

[ Edited ]

I agree, it's better than having an overlay menu.

The Dev Alpha A is a strange device. Some things seem to be accelerated while others might not be. I'm thinking it can still be a useful device to test the performance of apps that would be released on the new Curves, but that's about all it can be used for.

The ST source code does not reside on a public repository and there is no open "council" which discusses the direction of the project or roadmap. You do get access to betas and RCs, but it's always a surprise as to what you'll find in those.

I could probably create a repository with the goal of introducing the missing components into the framework, but I think it's BB's role to do that since they have a close relationship with Sencha and it would require at least one dev assigned to the project to keep it in sync.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developer

@bbbatman - Think of the new bbui.js app menu as a "reveal" effect. The app layer slides down, revealing the app menu hidden underneath. As opposed to the old behaviour where the app menu would slide over the UI.
Native apps go one step further by truly pushing the app down, moving both the app container and the menu down at the same time and this can be a problem in some frameworks, especially with forms.
--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd

@bbbatman ahhh good catch - need to update that screenshot!

The new one actually pushes the screen down, just grab the latest bbUI 0.9.6.x

--

@roryboy

Yup, DevAlpha A served its original purpose quite well, but now that BB10 is optimized for other chipsets you see the oddities.

Will poke around about ST, not really sure who handles it over here.

--

@roryboy

Contributor
My Device: BB 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Airtel

@rcraigbarnes

This might seem like a stupid question, I ask for apologies in advance if it really is. 

I downloaded and used the latest bbui.js (version 0.9.6.139) in my application. And I still do not see the Menu pushing down the rest of the application. I am using the latest version of webworks (1.0.4.11) and I am testing on a Dev Alpha B device.  But here I am still seeing the same old overlay behavior. 

Is there anything that I might be missing here ?

Sounds like you have the correct pieces in place. Are you sure your app deployed to the device properly after you changed to the new bbUI?

If you look in the bbUI code around line 3057 you'll see the start of the menu function does it look like this:

bb.menuBar = {
height: 140,
visible: false,
menu: false,
screen: false,

If it does, when you use web inspector to check the source on device do you see the same?

Rory

--

@roryboy