Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport SQW100-1
My Carrier: Meteor
Accepted Solution

Asking now for more than 3 years for a way to get this fixed

Hi,

For the last 3,5 years im having problems with the blackberry webworks signer (bbwp).

We are talking in those 3,5 years maybe 4 or 5 different computers, different operation systems, everything.

The problem is that the signer keeps crashing, it starts signing and it hangs lets say on 0/150, 10/150 sometimes around 30/150.

when i click anywhere in the signer window it crashed, i need to sign, force quit, sign, force quit lke 10-20 times sometimes even more before it continues and sign the app.

Also i changed signing keys over the years but that also never fixed the problem.

Is there no fix at all for this? my question is getting ignored over the years by now.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Asking now for more than 3 years for a way to get this fixed

Can you please confirm which JDK version you have installed? Specifically under the following two folders:
C:\Program Files\Java
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java

* If you only have an installation under C:\Program Files, can you please confirm whether your PC is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Also, I am assuming this is the WebWorks SDK 2.3.1.5 for BBOS, correct?

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Regular Contributor

At the moment, (but this was ofc not always this version, changed over the years also).

- 32bit

- BlackBerry WebWorks SDK 2.3.1.5

- jdk1.7.0_51

- jre7

But i also tried with java 6 few years ago and didn't help anything.

Im used to it now, but its annoying that i need to sign sometimes 20 times

Retired
My Device: Passport

Asmooh,

I'm guessing that you're working with the original WebWorks for the Java smartphones. I'm sorry to say that we haven't had people assigned to that technology for a long time and there are no plans right now to do more with it. The signer tool is just added in to WebWorks, so it's really just a portion of the old JDE tools. I'm just trying to give context here - that this is some very old stuff that isn't being maintained, and there are many limitations that couldn't be fixed even when that platform was in active development. Those frustrations encountered when signing on the old platform were considered in the design of the new signing system for PlayBook and BlackBerry 10, and the underlying operating system itself changes things quite a bit.

I'm not sure if we can offer any complete solutions for you on the old platform, but don't restrict yourself to just the WebWorks forum when looking for solutions - there will be plenty of additional resources on this topic in the Java forum as well. Hopefully you will be able to migrate more of your work to the BlackBerry 10 platform in the future.

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hm, well JDK 6 (32-bit) would be my first recommendation in any case; the tool/signer was never really compatible with JDK7 so if there's any chance of success (even if it failed before) then JDK6 would be required.

My recommendation is to fully uninstall every existing JDK/JRE on the PC. Install JDK6 32-bit. Update your PATH system variable to reference your new JDK6 installation. And double-check that your bbwp.properties file is referencing the new JDK6 installation as well.

You could *skip* the uninstallation steps if you prefer to keep JDK7 installed too, but in that case you should ensure that JDK6 is listed *first* in the environment PATH variable and that your bbwp.properties file is also updated accordingly.

It may not be any new information from what you tried before, but what you're describing is exactly what we were seeing with JDK7 back in the day (it's been a while since I dusted off the BBOS WebWorks SDK), and that would be my starting point for recommendation. If you're still seeing issues after the above, I'd be happy to jump on a call and see if we can't walk through it, but again my starting point would be what's listed above.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Regular Contributor

Thanks both of you!

I will look into installing Java 6, and I already build BlackBerry 10 apps, i just try to keep supporting the old BlackBerry 7 OS.