Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BB Web App Dev Basic Guidelines

Hi all, I have to build a simple php web application that can also be viewed on mobile devices, primarily iphone and BB.  I am developing on a Mac (no visual studio or eclipse) and don't have a Blackberry for testing.  Because of this I'd like to build the page/app following recommended guidelines in order to have the best chance of a successful working app.

Is there a basic guideline to developing a web page/application that outlines special coding techniques BlackBerry web application developers?  A good example is the Safari Reference for the iPhone,  for that platform it is a great resource.  With just a few hours of reading I knew all the tweaks to make to my desktop web app work on the iPhone... now I need to do the same thing for the BlackBerry.   Any help is appreciated.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BB Web App Dev Basic Guidelines

Hi There,

Two of your best references will likely be the online videos around web development that should give you some tips:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/videolibrary.jsp#tab_tab_browser

And another area is the Browser documentation that describes all of the HTML, CSS and JavaScript supported and when it was supported on the browser.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Browser

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
New Developer

That's great, thanks!

I notice that all of the information on the Manuals & Guides link you sent discuss the capabilities of the 'BlackBerry Browser' specifically.   I won't need the option of accessing secure intranet pages because this is a public web page/application which leads me to believe that using the Internet Browser is more suitable than the BlackBerry Browser.  Are the capabilities outlined in the Manuals & Guides resource the same for the two browsers or is there another resource just for the Internet Browser?

I also notice that there is a definite line drawn between versions up to 4.5, and those beyond.  Although knowing where that particular line is helps, I find myself wondering what the 'popular' or 'most prevalent' versions are?  I'm aiming the application at commercial and retail base metal investors in North America, most of whom I'd assume have fairly current BB's.   Is there a version that if designed for will cover the majority of users?  I have a buddy who works in the BB camera department in guelph and he suggested v4.2 as a baseline but couldn't be sure.  How much support do I care to give? Well, the application will not support Internet Explorer 6, too many hoops to jump through for so few users.  If there is a BB OS version that breaks a similar barrier where developing for anything older might cover 10% more users while creating 100% more work, I'd like to know what that is.

Again, thanks for helping me understand the boundaries of the BB!

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

All the browsers on the BlackBerry are the same.  Choosing different browsers is just choosing which gateway the go out.. Wifi, through the BlackBerry NOC, through a carrier's network gateway etc.

The rendering engine used in the browser is the same across all the browsers.

Cheers,

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Galaxy S II
My Carrier: Meteor (Ireland)

As regards the predominance of one OS version over another, this is changing very rapidly. The two charts below show the OS versions that were used to download our app from App World in May vs November. I should say that our app requires 4.5 or higher so I don't have any data for older versions.

May 2009 Downloads.PNG

November 2009 Downloads.PNG 

New Developer
New Developer

Transport channels make sense, multiple browsers doesn't.  I must have gotten that literal idea from the movie - What are the different browsers and how do they impact your web page?' ..... which says, "There are four different browsers" and goes on to list them. Thanks for straightnening me out on that.  

And thanks Michael for trying to show your apps download version history, unfortunately they didn't show in the post.  

If any one can point me in the direction of any resources that'll help me determine what BB versions are most popular that would be great.

Developer
My Device: Galaxy S II
My Carrier: Meteor (Ireland)

It's Dave - not Michael Smiley Happy The chart images I posted are there but are just really slow to load, and because there's no border around them it looks like they're not there. Leave the post open for 20-30 seconds and they'll appear. Honest!

New Developer
New Developer

**bleep**..haha, sorry Dave.  The visible 'reply to' posts only show one previous post at a time and I was going from memory....