Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

BB10 WebWorks Extensions

I've got all the basic theory I need for the actual extension I need

We have no details on writing one yet

Any pointers or ETA on documentation would be very helpful

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB10 WebWorks Extensions

It's still early for this, but I'm starting on a template for BB10 extensions.  The actual integration betweene JavaScript and Native C/C++ is still a work in progress - the WebWorks R&D teams are actively working on preparing the architeture needed to do this correctly.

However, one can get started now and see how some of the pieces will fit together.

Take a look at how the existing APIs have been created:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.0.15\Framework\ext\blackberry.system

There are always 2 files, one for the client = your app (client.js) and one for the server = device OS (index.js)

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

The particular tech I  need to integrate rapidly is NFC

M Wooley has pointed me at all the correct stuff so I have the foundation for an extension that will work on my DevAlpha

We're having a DevCamp last week in July specifically for BB10

A week or two (TBA) later I'll be getting a post-Jam recall to London (I know they ain't announced it - I like to be well informed)

There's a big fuss about BB10 & NFC so rather than present the pitch with 'here's an NFC sticker - imagine my BB10 goes beep' I want my BB10 to actually go beep

We're working on a medical solution that will be really impressive as part of our DevCamp

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Retired

That's excellent to hear.  I've also engaged Martin on producing an NFC API for WebWorks + BB10.

The missing piece to this is still the native integration layer, that the WebWorks R&D team are currently working to finalize.  Once that is in place, we can start on these types of extensions

Unfortunately I don't have an ETA to share, and cannot confirm at this time if it will be ready in time for your July meetup.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Hi.

Any news from the WebWorks R&D on the native integration layer? Would be nice to have to go on with 3rd party extensions. Also very interesting is NFC since the Native SDK already has an example app it would be nice to get the API + a port of the example for the WebWorks part of BB10.

I already added a request for it to the BB10-WebWorks-Examples github repo.

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Developer
My Device: BlaclBerry PlayBook 16gb, BlackBerry dev alpha
My Carrier: Airtel

Use macromedia dreamweaver
Developer
Developer

[ Edited ]

WebCreep wrote:
Use macromedia dreamweaver

For what? From what I understand from Adams post they need to write an extension-bridge to be able to access the native functionality and hardware features in WebWorks since WebWorks isn't as powerful as a C/C++ environment where we in WebWorks (only) have our HTML, CSS and JS.

BTW: can you stop spamming older threads with useless input. Wrote this in the time you added useless texts to 4 other posts.

Retired

No public info available yet for an release date for extensions.  The teams are still actively working on a solution.

"As a WebWorks extension developer, I can build an extension in the Native SDK from a template project" :

https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-Webworks-Packager/issues/165

Developer
Developer

Hi Adam,

thx very much for those information. Hopefully we see updates very soon. Next date for API updates is ~ Aug. 7th I saw in your BB10 Jam session you presented in Berlin (couldn't wait for the BB10 Dev Alpha in my hands ;-) ), hope you are on your timeline!!

Developer
Developer

Wow. It seems we already have the first example of how to build a WebWorks Extension to be able to extend a WebWorks app with some more native functionality: https://github.com/blackberry-webworks/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/tree/next-native-template/ext_sample

Has anybody already tested in more details if and how it works with the latest BB10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.1.6?