Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

[BB10] Will all the Core lower level APIs be included in WebWorks before launch?

I'm glad that we finally have some visibility on what will make it into BB10 in terms of APIs, but one thing still isn't clear.

Is RIM going to provide WebWorks extensions/APIs for core lower level APIs like NFC or is it expected of developers to team up and develop and open source these extensions?

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Re: [BB10] Will all the Core lower level APIs be included in WebWorks before launch?

Hi Olivier,

I wrote a PM to Mark from RIM to discuss some things including NFCand he answered that NFC right now isn't on the roadmap for WebWorks and it does require a Native extension to get it working in WebWorks.

So it seems we need to write something by our own what is very shame. When I had a closer look to the memory sample Native extension for WebWorks, I referred to in the BB10 extensions thread, it wasn't that easy to understand and I will need to do a lot more as I thought to get started with the extensions (understand how to do, install the IDE to make it easier to do, ...).

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: [BB10] Will all the Core lower level APIs be included in WebWorks before launch?

Thanks for the heads up. It's a shame that RIM rarely bothers to answer to any of these important questions about the platform, but the situation is much better than with Tablet OS which was abandonned a year ago.

The memory extension is a good example, because it's using threads, but if Javascript devs have to write C++ code, I'm predicting lots of memory leaks ahead Smiley Wink.

I also think this will lead to a lot of wasted development hours as several developers will invevitably develop the same extensions...

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Developer
Developer

Hi interfaSys. I can only agree with all your thoughts about the situation!!

Hope to see somebody in here for some comments. I'm available to work together on some things, but on the other hand I'm also not a C++ developer so it might be wasted time to start with building Native extension for WebWorks for my own.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

>> Is RIM going to provide WebWorks extensions/APIs for core lower level APIs like NFC or is it expected of developers to team up and develop and open source these extensions?

The public roadmap aka "Arrival Boards" details what features / capabilities / APIs will be scheduled for upcoming releases https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/download/roadmap/.

Developers are encourated to use WebWorks extensions as a mechanism to implement additional native capabilities in their WebWorks applications.  Github is being used as the public forum for publishing these extensions and we've seeded it with the following template:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/BB10

What this means is that developers who build extensions will need to have good knowledge of writing native C/C++.  In fact, I fully expect that most WebWorks extensions will be written by native developers.

I will be helping to coordinate this effort.  We're going to be publishing a learning webinar on the subject soon.  As well, the BlackBerry Community Wiki (http://blackberry.github.com/Community/Community_Wiki.html) will be used to manage what APIs are needed, which ones are to be ported from BBOS/TabletOS and help others understand which ones are being worked on by whom. BB10 WebWorks developers can expect to see a lot of activity in the near future.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
Developer

Hi Adam. Nice to know there will be a webinar.

I think with the help of the IDE it might be possible to write an extension, but at the moment, for me, the TEMPLATE sample is little bit confusing to get really started so it might be good to have a webinar to discover such samples little bit.

On the other hand, IMHO when RIM is providing toolkits like WebWorks and devices like Dev Alpha with hardware like NFC and we will need to write APIs by our own to get started with it is little bit frustrating since many devs could start working on it, and they also want to publish an app for BB10's startup with those really new and great hardware technologies what needs more time and therefore more costs devs might never ever get back from such apps in the app world, isn't it?