Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

TWC
New Contributor
My Device: Bold & Tourch
My Carrier: t-mobile

BBM WebWorks issue

I want to include a menu item in my application that opens a BBMChat. To this end I use the following javascript code:

blackberry.bbm.platform.users.startBBMChat( onCompleteHandler, message );

In the config.xml file I have added the parameter:

<feature id="blackberry.bbm.platform" required="true" version="1.0.0.0"/>

Finally, my WebWorks folder contains the bbm extension "net_rim_bb_qm_platform.jar" in the folder "blackberry.bbm".

However, after compiling and running my application in the simulator I get the following error popup:

"Error starting [app name]: Module 'net_rim_bb_qm_platform' not found.

Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?

Retired
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Telus

Re: BBM WebWorks issue

It should mean you don't have BBM 6 installed, you can check that through the options menu.

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
TWC
New Contributor
My Device: Bold & Tourch
My Carrier: t-mobile

Thank you for your fast response.

Does this mean that if a user does not have BBM 6 installed, this user cannot run my application, because there is a dependency?

If this is the case, is there a workaround (for instance in the config.xml) to still make my application run, even if a user does not have BBM 6 installed?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Based on the Blackberry Messenger API, "BBM Social Platform APIs come with BBM6 and later. BBM6 is supported on BlackBerry OS 5, 6, and 7." So it's a must to have a BBM 6 installed.

You might want check if the messenger API exists upon your app's onload and flag your BBM-using functions to ignore the blackberry messenger like so :

if (blackberry.bbm !== null) {
  // ok to use BBM functions
} else {
  // disable all BBM functions
}

Hope this helps. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour
My Carrier: MTN

jdnoprada, that won't work either. I suspect the exception is thrown before it even loading the application itself. I don't think there is a way around it from within a webworks application and the BBM_WW_version_check is not properly documented as far as I'm concerned. I have the same problem as well.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour
My Carrier: MTN

Was able to solve the problem...

For future reference here is what you have to do: 

1. Go to http://us.blackberry.com/developers/blackberrymessenger/ and download BBM SDK Dependence Checker for BlackBerry WebWorks

2. Unzip the file and you will find BBM_WW_version_check.pdf

3. Follow the steps in BBM_WW_version_check.pdf carefully

Now for the part that was not included in the manual. 

4. You will have to build both the core application and the proxy application. After that, you will then have to load both the core application and the proxy application on the device or simulator.

That solved my problem.