Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Alfa

Best platform?

I am new to developing and I want to chose a language to learn I want to make games and apps for bb10 and playbook what is the best platform Someone told me that html5
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Best platform?

Hi there,

Generally I tend to recommend to developers that they 1) use the technology they're most comfortable with; or 2) use the technology they want to learn.

HTML5 has a leg-up on the cross-platform front, while Android Java can still get you into two markets. AIR gives you some rapid development and easy way to port over existing Flash content. Native gives you some boost in performance.

These are by no means an exhaustive set of reasons; nor does it mean that a Native application will always perform better than an HTML5 application. But if we're generalizing, those are some common points.

At the same time, the majority of applications can be implemented regardless of the approach taken. In BB10, it will be possible to create Native extensions from an HTML5 application, meaning if you do need that boost in performance, you can dig down into the native layer. HTML5 and Native both have a very compelling BB10 UI framework at this time as well.

If you're feeling super adventurous, there's always Python!

http://blackberry-py.microcode.ca/

It would really depend on the goals of not only your project, but what you want to accomplish as well. What kind of games and apps did you have in mind?

* I spend the majority of my time with HTML5 so my opinion may be a biased towards it Smiley Happy

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Curve 9360, Playbook, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: TMN

Re: Best platform?

Hi!

If you have previous knowledge of C++, you might want to be on that bandwagon Smiley Happy

If not, I'd go HTML5, much like Erik, I'm also biased Smiley Wink

With WebWorks, Javascript and many of the JS libraries available you can do a lot of cool stuff.

I can show you, as an example, 2 apps I did for the PlayBook, using nothing else but webworks: http://www.bitoutsidethebox.com/products/

good luck!
Nuno 

Nuno