Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Best way to design blackberry app with remote database server

I am trying to write a blackberry application which basically gets data from remotely located database server. Thats all.

I am new to blackbettery development world so my questions are -

1) should I build JDE widows applications which traverses XML and display data?

2) Should I build blackberry web application with Visual studio plugin in  which traverses XML and display data?

3) For both cases above, should i use XML or blackberry internal database (if it has one)?

4) For reaching the data, Should i build web services at remote end and blackberry calls webservices and get data in XML format (if

blackberry app is capable calling web services)

Thanks

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Best way to design blackberry app with remote database server

1 and 2) Depends on where your skills are (Java or Browser) and how much work you're willing to put into this. Both Java and Browser are good options for this.

3) the BlackBerry gets a SQL database (SQLite) with device software 5.0 (should be out this year) but you can use the JME RMS or the BlackBerry object store to provide a local 'database' from a Java application.

4) you can do anything. BlackBerry devices beginning with the 8100 support JSR 172, the JME Web Services specification. so that's certainly one way to do it. You could also do it with REST or even something proprietary - all that really matters is that for performance reasons you do as much processing as possible on the back-end.

Contributor
My Device: n/a
My Carrier: n/a

Can you provide example to invoke remote (json based) restful service from browser application? 

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Which type of server side scripting are you wanting to use for the server?  PHP, JSP, ASP.NET?

All you need to do in these technologies is when accessed they would return a JSON string as their response.

From the client you would call this server side code using the XMLHttpRequest object and then use an open source JSON parser like the one in the link below to parse the JSON result into a object that you could then use:

http://www.json.org/js.html

An example of this can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON#Using_JSON_in_Ajax

Some more interesting information can be found here:

http://www.developer.com/lang/jscript/article.php/3596836/Speeding-Up-AJAX-with-JSON.htm

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter