Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: Best web framework for PlayBook development?

What I'd like to see with Alice is a real world example. All these single animations are not very different than what you can get from the bigger frameworks. I still haven't found one that can move a div holding several divs+text without chocking to death. It works amazingly well when you can use overflow to move these elements, but if you want to build a transition, it's totally unusable.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810, PlayBook

Hi interfaSys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm one of the developers of AliceJS, and I agree it needs some real world examples.

I'm currently working on a File Viewer app for the PlayBook using Sencha Touch, WebWorks I/O API, and AliceJS that has grid and list layouts with tabbed panels. I tried using some of Sencha's animations like cube and slide to transition between the tabs, but I found the performance was terrible so I ended up disabling them.

I was able to use some effects from AliceJS like fade, toss, and slide (a new effect that overslides then settles) which work fairly well. I'll be putting this in GitHub soon as a sample.

I also have plans on building a shopping cart style example an an ebook reader example.

What sort of application are you building? How large are your DIVs? I'd definitely like to use your app as a use case.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Jim

Developer

Hello Jim,

First, thank you for taking the time to work on Alice Smiley Happy. Your plans for sample apps sound great Smiley Happy

I totally agree with you regarding Sencha Touch transitions. They're totally unusable on the PlayBook.

It would be awesome if Alice transitions could be used as plugins, otherwise overrides should be OK.

The applications I'm talking about are just like your File Viewer app. I'm using tabs and each one contains different types of elements, mostly lists. Each node contains several nested divs and they're using gradients, shadows and transparency. List scrolling is smooth, because hardware acceleration kicks in, so it shouldn't be a problem for transitions, but I've never been able to fix Sencha Touch. It does use translate3D, but as soon as you're trying to slide a tab with more than 10 nodes, you're better off turning the animation off...

Since this thread is about frameworks, maybe we should take this conversation somewhere else? List or 'Issues' on github, etc.?

Cheers,

Olivier

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Ah... I think one thing that could be slowing down your transitions is the gradients.. last I remember, gradients were not hardware accelerated, and if you had them in a div that you were animating it would slow things down.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer

I did try without them (removed the CSS for those elements) and it didn't change anything (or was barely noticeable). One thing I did not try was to remove gradients from the whole app, but I don't think it would make a difference.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

It's possible that if the <div> you are animating moves over top of a stationary <div> that has a gradient, that it would also slow down.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter