Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-28-2013
My Device: Blackberry bold
My Carrier: T-mobile

Black screen on ajax load



I have a problem with an app that is already in the app world.

When i download the app from the app world i get a black screen on the html parts that are loading via Ajax,


But when i build the app locally i have no problems at all. I tried to edit the config file to support the url where the phone gets the data. Als i added the subdomain attribute but still no luck.


I really hope someone can help me with this problem.


Kind regards,

Kevin Walter

Posts: 1,382
Registered: ‎07-02-2009
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Black screen on ajax load

How old is the app in the store?  If the version of the WebWorks SDK, used to build the app deployed to BlackBerry World, is different than the current version you are using, it could be a change in behavior that is broken.  There was a change in how whitelisting of AJAX urls occurred.  If you used * wildcard in your access element, there may be permission errors since this became more restrictive with recent versions of the SDK .



Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Posts: 1,229
Registered: ‎03-20-2011
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Re: Black screen on ajax load

Ooh - fun techie time Smiley Happy


Build with the -d (debug) switch so you can use Web Inspector


Now trap the return from your AJAX and see what it says


Anything other than 200 as a result code sounds like it could potentially lead to the issue you descibe


There are other things you need to try once you've identified this (going on experience - not saying its definite) after this stage


As Adam mentions - you need to fully whitelist the URL - be specific - *.fred,com is no good - it's gotta be myapp.fred.com


Next - nice to have - pass back a CORS header (google it for your server). Whilst not strictly required its a good idea to be polite to the server and client


Generally these steps fix things


You should also try trapping the return (if you get one) and see what that says


Many a time I've seen poorly designed JSON that parser can handle - I now religiously wrap such likely problem areas in try ... catch

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!