Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: ATT

BlackBerry Development Failure & Frustration

I am working on making mobile friendly versions of one of our web applications, and BlackBerry has been the source of 99% of my frustration. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong. But it's just been a nightmare.

My lastest issue is that my BlackBerry 9700 simulator has died. Completely. Died.

It will not boot.

It was working fine for a few weeks, until one day, I was refreshing a web page and I got an error (don't remember the exact error, sorry, only got it once and didn't record it). When I restarted the simulator, I got a white screen with a "104" error, which seems to be BlackBerry's code for "It's broken."

Reinstalling the simulator does not fix the problem.

Furthermore, I really can't seem to figure out how one is supposed to do web development for the BlackBerry. All the documentation out there on using the simulators for it is about 4 years old. The Eclipse plugins are apparently being discontinued starting the day after tomorrow, and all that is left is this "WebWorks" stuff, which seems to be a system involving a native application wrapper. And the last thing I want is to force users to install a native application to view our web apps. That completely and entirely defeats the purpose of a WEB application.

Honestly, I can't see how anyone can really use the words "Blackberry", "Web", and "Works" in the same sentence with a straight face.

Sorry for the trolling, but I'm having a very frustrating time here.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BlackBerry Development Failure & Frustration

JVM error codes generally do indicate a pretty significant error has occurred.  If you get these when starting the BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator it generally means that the simulator's temporary files have become corrupt.  Re-installing the simulator to the same directly won't change anything because those temporary files will remain (even after you uninstall).

The good news is that there is an easy way to get rid of them and start over.  All you need to do is run the clean.bat file located in your simulator's installation directory (ensure the simulator is not running when you do).  Give that a try and let us know if you run into any further errors.

The BlackBerry Web Plug-in for Eclipse is not being discontinued.  I think there is some confusion here with a local WebWorks application versus a browser based application.  Both application types continue to be supported.  You have the option of creating a web based application that is installed and runs locally on the BlackBerry Smartphone or a standard browser based application that the user access with the BlackBerry Browser.  You can find an overview of these two technologies here:  http://us.blackberry.com/developers/browserdev/overview.jsp

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

I think we've all had some issues with the sims every now and again.  Try running 'clean.bat' in the simulator directory. That usually gets me past my issues.

RE: WebWorks

WebWorks applications get compiled down to Java applications that implement a BrowserField2 object to support web content.  So it's not a wrapper, per se.  It's actually a native app.  What it DOES provide though, is the ability to use HTML/CSS/JavaScript resources within your app. The idea is to enable web developers.

The good news is, WebWorks also supports remotely hosted content, so it sounds like it will enable you to do what you want.  On 6.0 devices, you can also take advantage of the WebKit rendering engine.

The bad news is, WebWorks is not the same across RIM's devices.  This has been a major point of frustration for me.  5.0 and 6.0 JDE and browser implementations quite different, which usually means more testing and more debugging.  Now PlayBook is thrown into the fray, and even though it's still called WebWorks, it has its own API (that makes two).  Furthermore, WebWorks PlayBook sits on top of Adobe Air (requires it for native code), while the original WebWorks sits on top of BB Java.  So to port my application to PlayBook, I need to rewrite a great deal of it (after I learn Air) because I use a lot of native Java code in WebWorks extensions.

So WebWorks will probably get you there, but I wouldn't say the frustration part is over.

New Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

I tried the clean.bat earlier with no success. After your suggestion, I tried again (launching form a command prompt) and read the output. Some of the operations had failed due to lack of permissions (I'm running Windows 7 and the simulators are in my Program Files directory).

I tried running again as an administrator and did not get the (permissions) errors.

Happily, I relaunched the simulator and was presented with the same JVM (104) error I was getting before "Uncaught: Error". Any other suggestions on this?

On the WebWorks front, what I really need is simply a way to test our web application (a/k/a website) on Blackberries. We are working to support a number of different devices (including iPhones and Android phones). We are using a different tool (Volantis) in order to manage our device-specific content, so I'm not really looking for a way to build BlackBerry-friendly web content, just to test it out.

Does WebWorks provide a browser that accurately simulates various BlackBerry devices' browsers? Because that's what I really need.

PS - I am attempting to install a different simulator now (another version of the 9700). But I'm not that confident, and even if it does work, what do I do when it fails? 

PPS - I was able to successfully install the other simulator and it appears to be working (it boots and everything). But my problem still stands: What happens when this one fails?

Developer

I'm doing this from memory, which is always dangerous, but you may get around the permission problem by installing to a directory containing no spaces.

I usually install to C:\BBWP or similar.

AFAIK, the simulator browser is the best option for testing.  And you'll have to test with multiple sims (5.0 and 6.0, and PlayBook - when the browser is available) because each browser implementation is different.