Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: All - AT&T
My Carrier: Telenor

BlackBerry Widget / WebWorks application to fetch emails of contacts of a user from BlackBerry Messaging Contacts

Hello everyone!

I have to add a new feature in my BlackBerry widget application.

A new feature will fetch contacts of the user from BlackBerry Messaging Server through BlackBerry Administration API.

I am stuck with it. I googled it and found too many things that gave me concepts but no help.

Can anyone please tell me how to achieve this?

Muhammad Ahsan Iqbal
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BlackBerry Widget / WebWorks application to fetch emails of contacts of a user from BlackBerry Messaging Contacts

Are you wanting to access the built in BlackBerry contacts on the device?  

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

Re: BlackBerry Widget / WebWorks application to fetch emails of contacts of a user from BlackBerry Messaging Contacts

No. I want to access BlackBerry Messaging Server contacts of a person through BlackBerry Widget application.

I just got to know that there are two types of BlackBerry contacts. Contacts that are saved in BlackBerry Smartphone and the contacts that exist on BlackBerry Messaging Server.

Is that possible?

Muhammad Ahsan Iqbal
Retired

I'm not sure I understand which software you are referring to when you say "BlackBerry Messaging Server"

Are you referring to BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) that is running on the device?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

I have to access contacts that reside in BlackBerry Messaging Server through BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Now, I guess it seems more clear.

Muhammad Ahsan Iqbal
Retired

I'm sorry but I'm still a little confused.

I am not aware of any product that RIM has that is called the BlackBerry Messaging Server that runs server side with connectivity through the BES.

Do you have a link to the product page?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

Tneil,

There is a messaging server in the diagram.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7335/BES5_X_G_architecture_648722_11.jpg

Here are the details.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7335/Architecture_BES_491614_11.jsp

Messaging server stores email addresses.

I just have to fetch those email addresses through BlackBerry Administration API.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/25821/Arch_BB_Administration_API_1430058_11.js...

I guess it's possible in BlackBerry Java Application, but the problem is that I could not find any information regarding accessing contacts that exist in BlackBerry Messaging Server through BlackBerry Widget / WebWorks application.

Muhammad Ahsan Iqbal
Retired

Ok.. so in that diagram it is a "Messenging Server" which would be a third party email service like Microsoft Exchange that is outside of the BES.  

I am not familiar with the BES Admin APIs which are all server side APIs that will not be running on the device itself for accessing that content.  All the Java APIs that I know of are J2SE/J2EE code for accessing that capability.

However, I do believe they are also exposed as a web service interface.  In either case, you can write your integration with the Admin APIs and expose that integration to your WebWorks application as a restful web service.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

Thanks for the help...!

Now, I want to know how to retrieve contacts from BlackBerry Messenger list.
Is this possible with BlackBerry Widget application?

Muhammad Ahsan Iqbal
Retired

The method would be the same as other technologies.  Integrate with the Messenging Service on the server side, and expose that integration via a RESTful web service.  You can then call the restful web service via AJAX calls in your WebWorks application.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter