Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Browser Standards/Testing

Hello,

I'm new to Blackberry webdevelopment & researching on enabling web applications on to Blackberr.

Seeing Blackberry Simulators (8820, 8900) has only BlackBerry browsers and unable to find an option for Internet Browser, which I see it on the actual device. Is there way to get Internet Browser on the simulator? This will help to reduce the develop/testing time to test the pages on the simulator.

Currently the pages are look great on Simulator Blackberry browser but it look different on the actual device with Internet Browser.

Wondering are there any documents/links/help available to develop pages compatible for all blackberry models?

Thanks in advance,

Raja.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry Browser Standards/Testing

There isn't really an Internet browser - the only difference between the different browsers is the path the request takes to get to the server containing the data.  The Internet browser uses DirectTCP while the BlackBerry Browser uses MDS. It's all the same rendering engine underneath.

What's different about the way the content is rendered? Have you compared the source being delivered to each 'browser' to see if the page being delivered is somehow different?

New Developer

Thanks for your clarification on DirectTCP and MDS service communications with the BB (Blackberry Browser) and Internet browsers.

The web pages are simple HTML pages with CSS and Images. The rendering on BB simulator looks good than on Internet Browser on the device (alignment/display are bit off). Wondering is there any thing to be considered on device model number, OS version etc.,?

Also is there specific HTML standards to render on Blackberry browsers?

Thanks,

Raja

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

RIM adds features to the browser with every release, so there are definately differences between the browser in BlackBerry Device Software versions.  Easiest way to find out what is supported is to read the Browser guides released for each version.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Browser

Highlighted
New Developer

Finally I was to update to the latest available OS (for 8820 with T-Mobile) and tried to render the Web Pages but still I see the layout issues. But interestingly, I was unable to get the same results on the PC Simular.

Any suggestins,

Thanks again,