Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: 8300
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Blackberry Browser cannot Play Embedded MP4 Videos

[ Edited ]

I've also been looking for some documentation on embedding video in webpages for playback on a BB device.

I've read pages that state the BB generally supports mov and mp4 files in h.264, and then other pages which suggest that the web browser only supports mp4 h.263 files.

So first question is what formats and codecs are supported in web pages.

Secondly i have webpages that are using javascript to supply an object tag for Quicktime, and then a noscript object and embed tags . . . is there any way to combine this with an object? tag that will target a BB. Is there any such thing as conditional statements that target BB?

Many thanks, jimlongo

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

What RTSP did you use zelaza?

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Telus

jim, Are you asking if you can determine whether or not the person visiting the page is using a blackberry?

New Contributor

I suppose browser sniffing would be an option, i'm really just trying to find out the best way to embed video for the web, that a blackberry user will also be able to see.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

jimlongo,

If you read through this thread you'll find a lot of information about the issue, but here are some specific points for you:

1.  The Blackberry Browser does not support playing video from the web over HTTP.  The best you can do is get the Blackberry to attempt to play the video, take an error, allow you to download the video to the Blackberry's local storage and then play it from there.

2.  The Blackberry browser supports the <OBJECT /> tag in a limited way (see earlier in this thread for examples).  There is a universally accepted, cross-browser compatible method for embedding real-time media into a web page that consists of nesting an <EMBED /> tag inside an <OBJECT /> tag so that a single page of HTML can be used for all browsers.  This method is supported by all modern browsers EXCEPT, of course, the Blackberry browser.

3.  Given point 2 above, the only way to even attempt to support the Blackberry is to identify Blackberry browsers by their HTTP User-Agent header and dynamically construct an HTML page just for them.  Personally, I use PHP and do a case-insensitive string search for "blackberry" on $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'].

4.  Don't bother to do 3 above, because even if you get the Blackberry browser to support the <OBJECT /> tag as described in 2 it will still fail to play the video as described in 1.

5.  Do not waste any time trying to figure out the magical combination of media file format, video codec, audio codec, bit rate, etc.  None of them will work because of 1 above.

6.  Ignore any mis-information you may receive from RIM about how the Blackberry can play video from the web over HTTP.  It cannot.  It can only play it over RTSP, which you do not have and neither do 99.999% of the web sites out there.

7.  Buy an iPhone - it does everything you are trying to do.  Try to migrate all your users to iPhone if possible.

As always, I wait in hope and joyful expectation that someone from RIM will respond and tell me how wrong I am and how easy it is to get a Blackberry to play a video from the web over HTTP.

- zelaza
Highlighted
New Contributor

ha ha , I get your point.

I've determined the best solution is to host the movie on Youtube.

Now  all I have to do is get the embedded URL from youtube to show up on the BB, that doesn't seem to be happening.  For instance when i paste the supplied Youtube embed code into a webpage it just doesn't show up on a BB, although the device will play the direct Youtube URL just fine.   ????

So it won't show this link in a webpage

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRkovnss7sg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRkovnss7sg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

But it will show this URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=yRkovnss7sg

That's with this phone on the Bell network

BlackBerry® 9530

smartphone (3G, CDMA)

v5.0.0.419 (Platform 4.2.0.179)

New Contributor

What I don't understand is why the folks at RIM don't have an easy way to deploy video on the web for their devices.  

I mean my clients want to see video from their website available to users on their "smart" phones.  Seems to me it would be in BB's best interests to expediate this.

Thanks,

jim

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi Jim,

This bug has been resolved quite some time ago. The issue is that a limited number of wireless carriers have picked up later builds to distribute to their users.

For instance, version 5.0.0.328 is nearly 5 months old.  SaskTel just officially released 5.0.0.517 for the Storm 2 (9550) which is nearly 200 builds newer.

We have the RTM version of the BlackBerry Widget SDK and Web Plug-in tools about to be released in a couple of weeks.  They have simulators in them that are from the newer builds where you will be able to try out.  However this unfortunately doesn't help you much until these builds with the fix in them make it into the wild.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Tim,

Thanks for at least finally explaining the actual problem.  Couple thoughts:

1.  Apparently neither of the two wireless carriers mentioned so far in this thread (Verizon and Bell) have upgraded to the build that apparently fixes the problem (which build is that, by the way?).  I assume Verizon and probably Bell as well are two of your larger customers.  Given that their failure to upgrade is reflecting badly on RIM and costing you business, I certainly hope someone at RIM is actively making these carriers aware of this problem.

2.  5.0.0.328?  5.0.0.517?  Dude, these builds are three places to the right of the first decimal point!  I mean, come on, they're not major releases, they're not minor releases, they're not patch releases, what the heck are they?  They must be like one step above an individual engineer's workspace, and it sounds like you're putting out like one a day or something!  No wonder Verizon hasn't upgraded.  If their policy was to upgrade every time you guys put out a new 5.0.0.xxx build they'd be upgrading every day!  Did you guys ever think about packaging up like a 5.0.1 or, heaven forbid, even a 5.1?  Maybe that would get Verizon's attention.

And I'm sure Verizon is not the only carrier out there who is not at the latest build.  Meanwhile, Blackberry looks like a joke compared to iPhone.  If I were you guys I would be pounding on Verizon and all your other carriers to upgrade immediately. 

Having said that, it's comforting to know that the 6 people in Saskatchewan who have Storm 2's are able to play videos from the web.  Unfortunately the rest of us are still waiting...

- zelaza
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response Tim.  

So the bug is that the object tag just doesn't show up in the browser?

I look forward to the day I can simply deploy media on a webpage and have it play everywhere.  in the meantime I guess I'll have to have a special link for BB users to follow to see the video.

It would be nice if support for web designers had a clear grid of what models/sw support what protocols, and recommendations as to how to target BB users.