Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Blackberry Browser cannot Play Embedded MP4 Videos

@iamtony:

Glad that helped! I've been caught up in family stuff here, so have been forced to put the whole website / streaming project on hold- not to mention the utter frustration which comes from trying to code for the BlackBerry browser... everything I ever did with CSS is useless here! Sorry... off topic Smiley Happy

That link is a good one. To summarize for everyone, here's the info in a nutshell:

For complete 100% (theoretical) compatibility, you want to supply videos in either MP4 or 3GP format, and use the h.263 video codec (set to 'simple' format) with an AAC audio codec. This should be pretty much universally playable (providing the extra stream data is present when needed for HTTP delivery). The h.264 codec improves the video quality, but is ONLY compatible with the Bold 9000 / 9700, Curve 8900 / 8520, Storm 9500 / 9530, Tour 9630, and Storm2 9520 / 9550.

I wonder how many of the older BlackBerry users there still are, and of those, how many would browse the web. That kind of data could be very useful when planning encoding.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Couldn't agree with you more about CSS on the BlackBerry Browser. Extremely. Extremely frustrating.

New Developer

@iamtony:

Glad to know I'm not alone Smiley Wink You wouldn't think a simple five-star rating system or drop-down menus would be so impossible on any platform. Don't anyone get me wrong- I love my BlackBerry, it's just personally frustrating to retrain myself to code pages like it's 1995... especially on such an awesome piece of hardware as the Bold 9700.

I'm back to serious encoding stuff next week, I promise. There's got to be better answers out there than the fiddly way I previously posted.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

@CharredPC,

What kind of problems are you experiencing with the five-star rating system or drop down menu?

My error occurs with style switching Smiley Sad

-tony

New Developer

Had a moment to try out some more encoding software. A sample is here, if anyone would be so kind as to test it. If it does work, how's the audio and video quality? Thanks in advance- if this one works, it's a single free solution Smiley Very Happy

@iamtony:

Both the rating systems and drop-down menus I intended to use utilize CSS. However, CSS mouse-over actions don't work on the BB browser. The only alternative I've found so far is java, but that's neither a universal solution, nor a lightweight one. I've created a decent standard html menu, but I haven't come up with a workable 5-star rating solution yet.

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

I didn't have any luck getting it to play on the storm.. it downloaded and got through "buffering" and into the "loading" message and then just stopped there - no error but no video.

Brian

New Developer

Just for the heck of it, I tossed MP4 aside for a moment and tried a WMV encode. Check it out here.

It runs about 130kbps (or 16KB/s). Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it streams a bit better to my 9700 here (over spotty Edge; my Wifi router's on the fritz). On the other, it pixelates on movement. I guess the most important thing is... does it work for everyone, and is it acceptable quality? In theory, it should work universally, as long as the whole HTTP streaming issue doesn't come into play again.

Contributor

Strange - maybe my storm is getting weird but I can only hear the audio on this file - no video

- elogic

New Developer

[ Edited ]

@elogic:

Nope, it's not you; had someone else check it out, got the same thing. The fact that it loaded means that the WMV format would work fine for HTTP streaming, but I encoded the video beyond "Simple" standards- which makes it incompatible with older Blackberries.

I really didn't want to go with WMV, but it looks like it might be the smartest route (creatable with a single app, not multiple steps; automatically HTTP-streaming capable; works with all BB's). If I can get it up to decent quality within the "Simple" encoding standards, I'll be tempted to switch from MP4...

Contributor

@charredPC

Keep us posted...