Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Bulleted text alignment on BB Curve

I'm having an issue when attempting to style bulleted text for the BlackBerry Curve. I've left everything at their defaults and cannot get the bulleted text to align properly. For example:

A bullet like this on two lines
does not line up when it flows down to a second line

Normally, on a regular computer device the text lines up nice with the bullet, even if its on multiple lines.

Any ideas? I tried setting the "list-style-position: outside" but that didn't do anything.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Bulleted text alignment on BB Curve

Greetings and thanks for your posting,

The display behaviour you are describing is a limitation of the the version of the browser rendering engine used on the Curve.  A more advanced version of the browser was introduced in version 4.6 of the handheld OS (introduced with the Bold 9000) which corrected this behaviour - text that wraps to the next line in a list-item is aligned with the first character, not the bullet.  I'd encourage you to test preview your content on a BlackBerry simulator running a newer version of the handheld software to compare the difference.

I am still in the progress of finding a suitable workaround that will meet your needs on the Curve, however I'm close to drawing a conclusion that there isn't one.  This older version of the browser rendering engine did not have full support for CSS 2.1 and therefore certain styles that would allow you to modify how the content is displayed are not supported.

Sincerely,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.