Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16Gb
My Carrier: NA

Re: CSS3 Hardware acceleration on PlayBook

Hi tneil

From my experiments, it appears that its not just gradients that stop hw acceleration. For example, just adding form elements to the content that is to be animated for me also stops hw acceleration. As mentioned i have got hw acceleration working fine in very simple projects (static jpg etc) but as soon as i try and apply this to "real world" content, ie. paras of text, form elements etc the choppy animations are back!

I for one would be very interested in seeing the project you mention - is it animating "real world" full page content? When might this project be available to view? Thanks.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

We're working on getting the project out there as an open source sample on github.  Hopefully within the next few weeks it will be up there.  It's currently known as "Alice" as in "Alice in Wonderland"... 

I have personally seen it hardware accelerate animations with form elements and a whole lot of other things Smiley Happy

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

@tneil it SHOULD, but unfortunately at times it fails miserably. Especially when trying to animate a structure of elements rather than just one or two. There's an active bug open for this. Hope it gets fixed soon because right now as soon as the stuff you try to animate approaches real-world complexity the hardware acceleration fails.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Contributor
My Device: BB9900 & PlayBook16GB

Do let us know when the project is out. Looking forward to this and the NDK TAT is working on.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook

Has anyone had any success getting smooth scrolling working using a library like iScroll? I've got a pretty decent UI in place using ChocolateChip-UI, but scrolling and page transitions are choppy.

I've got "-webkit-transform: translate3d(0px, 0px, 0px);" declarations for my scrolling panes, but based on what I've read above it sounds like I've probably got content that's too complicated or has elements in it that currently breaks hardware acceleration.

I hope RIM is/will make this a priority fix, as this really would help WebWorks apps pull even in useability with the other frameworks in place for the PlayBook.

Retired
My Device: Z10

If you are trying to use something like iScroll to make "smooth scrolling" work it is actually getting in the way of the PlayBook's built in smooth scrolling.

Full kinetic scrolling is built into the scrolling of the main page as well as any content of a div or iframe that has scrollable areas.

What happens is when you add a toolkit like iScroll, its purpose is to make iOS and Android devices do smooth scrolling via CSS and JavaScript because it isn't built into those browsers.  This overrides the smooth scrolling of content built into the PlayBook.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no issues with iScroll, in fact it scrolls much smoother than the native "kinect" scrolling. I am using the following:
jquery-1.6.1.min.js
jquery.mobile-1.0a4.1.min.js
iscroll 4

Latest update 1.0.7 has made my application snappier!! keep it up RIM!

Q: tneil, any change you can show me an example of a scrolling div which is natively elastic? I have been trying but only the main page scrolls elasticaly, contents within div do not.

Developer

[ Edited ]

anzorb, you're using jQuery Mobile + iScroll 4 for PlayCentre? That's very interesting - I just loaded your app onto my PlayBook and it is indeed a good performer. Perhaps I need to take another look at using jQuery Mobile. Can you offer any tips on getting the scrolling as smooth as you've gotten it?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

yllus, I made a skeleton for you with a simple full screen elastic list using JQ mobile + iScroll. 

Download here:

http://anzorb.com/public/skeleton.zip

Edit: it needs tweaking to work in portrait mode, but should get you on your way.

Highlighted
Developer

Thanks, anzorb! I've been debating giving up on WebWorks development because of the INPUT TEXT field issue, but now I'll at least try using this skeleton to see if my app functions faster in it. Smiley Happy