Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Can location.go or location.href javascript commands run code on the storm?

Storm JDE 4.7

If I have a local web page running javascript and I open it from my browser, can I open a file and try to run it using the location.go or location.href commands?

What kind of file is this expecting in that scenario? A COFF ARM11 Machine language .exe file? A J2ME java bytecode .jar file or what????? Or is location not functional in our webbrowser?

A secondary side to this is the use of the <canvas> tag in html. It seems we have some support for this to run webapps. However, I've tried to run some applications that use the canvas tag with javascript to run applications (this is how the iphone runs it's webapps by the way). I've been able to run some, but others I haven't been able to run. What are the limitations or can you point me to where this kind of application development is documented?????

Thanks

-Donald

======================

Donald Murray

CTO IPPUB

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Can location.go or location.href javascript commands run code on the storm?

webmasterpdx wrote:

Storm JDE 4.7

If I have a local web page running javascript and I open it from my browser, can I open a file and try to run it using the location.go or location.href commands?

What kind of file is this expecting in that scenario? A COFF ARM11 Machine language .exe file? A J2ME java bytecode .jar file or what????? Or is location not functional in our webbrowser?

I'm not sure what you are asking here, but I'll try to answer.  You can open an HTML file in the BlackBerry Browser that is stored locally on the BlackBerry handheld by using the file protocol (i.e.:  file://SDCard/myDir/myPage.html).  Links within that page can also reference the same type of URL.

You can find the documentation for the BlackBerry Browser at the link below.  There are reference guides that show what HTML, CSS and JavaScript elements are supported.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/docs/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Browser

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Can location.go or location.href javascript commands run code on the storm?

According to the JavaScript guide you can do a location.assign(url).  If you use this instead of the location.replace(url) it will keep history for you.
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter