Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can't Save BlackBery Widget in Visual Studio Plugin 2.0

[ Edited ]

Hi All

I've just installed the Visual Studio Plug In 2.0 and have created a new project:

New Project => Blackberry => BlackBeryWidget

First of all -the documentation on how to debug etc from the widget home page shows that you create a new website.  Am I doing the correct thing here?

When I try to save I get an error:  The operation cannot be completed.  No such interface supported.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Can't Save BlackBery Widget in Visual Studio Plugin 2.0

Hi There,

The documentation on the start-up page for debugging is for debugging a website.  The Beta 1 does not yet support JavaScript debugging for Widgets.  So if you have an ASP.NET project you wish to debug, those instructions will show you how to debug it using the BlackBerry Browser in the Simulator.

Can you list the following information so that we might be able to re-produce your issue:

- Version of Windows (Vista, XP, 7, 32 or 64 bit)

- Version of Visual Studio 2008

- When you installed visual studio did you say that you were a C# developer, VB developer or Web Developer

- In your settings "Options -> Projects and Solutions" do you have "Always show Solution" and/or "Save new projects when created" checked or un-checked

Thanks

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer

Hi Tim - Thanks for the reply. 

Are there lans for javascript debugging to be available directly in a widget project?

Setting the save on creation was the problem.  I see this is a problem with other custom poroject types in VS 2008 and is a known bug.

Thanks again - I can get stuck in now Smiley Happy

Retired

Yes, we are definately planning on integrated JavaScript debugging for Widgets.  That functionality 

is on its way.

Actually... I'll let you in on a little secret workaround until the full integrated debugging is released.

The steps below aren't "supported" functionality but I've found that it works not too bad.  If you follow the

below steps you may be pleasantly surprised Smiley Happy

1) Build and launch your widget in the Simulator.

2) In your Solution where you have your Widget project, add a new WebSite project to that solution.

3) On the default web page for the website right-click on it and select "Browse With".

4) Highlight the BlackBerry Browser and select the "Set as Default" button.

5) Cancel out of this screen

(The above steps 3 - 5 are the standard way you would debug a web project with any 3rd party browser)

6) Set your website project as the "StartUp project"

7) Run/Debug your website project (F5)

(This will launch the website you have created in the BlackBerry browser of the already

running simulator and create the dynamic project in the solution explorer for web page debugging

just like in Internet Explorer)

8) Close the BlackBerry Browser application running in the Simulator

9) Bring your Widget to the foreground

Voila.. you are now debugging the content of your widget project instead of the website Smiley Happy

Not very elegant, but it might get you through some tough spots tracking down a tricky bug until we

have the fully integrated solution

Enjoy!!

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer

Hi Tim

Thanks for that.  It works great.Smiley Happy

Davy

New Developer

I am also having this problem.  The other person posted that they had Save on creation checked.  Mine is not checked.  I am on Windows XP, VS 2008 9.0.21022.8,  VB Developer, and neither box is checked.  Please help.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Retired

If they are un-checked then you should make sure that they are checked and save your options.  Close Visual Studio, start it again and you should be good to go

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter