Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Canvas image smoothing--Playbook vs. BB10

We're developing a web app that uses a canvas to display custom bitmap fonts we have developed. The images are rendered by calling drawImage. On the Playbook, the images come out exactly as intended, but on the BB10, they come out anti-aliased. Unfortunately, this makes the text appear "fuzzy" (to quote a customer) and difficult to read. Here's an example (greatly magnified) of the difference between BB10 and Playbook:

Effect of image smoothing

At this scale the BB10 version appears nicer; but at actual size, it just looks like a fuzzy blob, while the Playbook version of the text is quite readable. I've tried setting the imageSmoothingEnabled property to false for the canvas's context, but it seems to have no effect. (I also tested for mozImageSmoothingEnabled and webkitImageSmoothingEnabled just to be safe.)

There's no CSS scaling applied to the canvas and the only transformation applied to the canvas context is translation.

Any suggestions for how to get rid of the image smoothing on BB10?

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.