Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Charts in Visual Studio Web Plug-in

Environment:  32-bit Windows 7, most recent Java development environment from Sun, Visual Studio 8 most recent BlackBerry Beta Plug-in, 9700 Simulator working fine, whitelisted remote .NET/ASP/SQL Server 2008 to use as remote formatted page server, XMLHTTP requests,  and possibly direct .asp service calls.

I have been searching for a way to make simple line and area charts in the plug-in environment.  I have tested 3 "JavaScript" tool kits.  They work on an ASP web site against a desktop browser.  The most awesome was amCharts... alas it uses flash.  The other two are: EJSChart which appears to be entirely JavaScript, and finally Flot which is open source MIT tool JavaScript only tool.

I tested these by incorporating the simplest example into my ASP site and first browsing from the BB browser, then calling the page with an XMLHttpRequest.  I verified the charts would render on a desktop browser IE8.  All three failed to render on the BB browser.  I didn't even take it a step further with the amCharts product since it so heavily relies on flash.  The other two I incorporated their JavaScript libraries into my widget library and tried to launch the simplest chart using the same HTML as a local HTML page that worked on the desktop browser and neither will render.  I can' even start debugging to see where it is falling apart since I can't debug in the plug-in except with alert commands.

Does anyone have any experience with or could they recommend some tool for rendering charts?  Is there some compatible AJAX control that I haven't uncovered?  I would like to do something like the Bloomberg BB application.  They have a nice area chart and it is interactive.  Should I just consider rendering on the server side to an image file and just bringing the image across?

Thank you,

Scott

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Charts in Visual Studio Web Plug-in

Have you tried the google static charts API?

http://code.google.com/apis/chart/docs/making_charts.html

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks Tim... I will take a look.  Is there any SVG charting you are aware of?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't know of any off hand myself.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter